Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My two take-aways from camp…

Whenever I am in a place such as this camp, where the sensory overload can be overwhelming… all the classes, opportunities to play, opportunities to listen to world-class performers and teachers…. I have learned to look for one or two takeaways during the experience. I take those takeaways home as my “assignment” to work thru.
So my two takeaways?

1. The style of soloing I want to learn can be found in fiddle tunes. So I am compiling a list of fiddle tunes to begin learning. I am open to suggestions.

2. My picking hand needs adjustment. What I observed and learned during the guitar breakout sessions gave me some very specific things to work on.

I am VERY excited about focusing on these two specific areas. I do best in my learning if I focus on one or two areas rather than a plethora of things.

So… fellow campers…. What are YOUR takeaways?

Until next camp… I love you folks. You made my birthday week perfect. Thank you
Mr g

9 Likes

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/filters/instruments:guitar;collections:fiddle-tunes

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

Paige,

Again, it was great to meet you and visit a bit.

I think my two takeaways are these:

1. I got over my fear of trying a solo. The first evening’s jam I was content to play rhythm but petrified when it came time to solo, especially since I didn’t know the first two songs. Over the course of the next day I had a chance to play more and more solos (like in our “band” practice and breakout sessions with our instructor) and by the 2nd evening I was raring to. I wasn’t much better, but I wasn’t afraid to try.

2. I was simply awed by the environment. From showing in the morning first thing and people already had their instruments out, playing. It was a fun, no judgement, environment and gave me an emotional high that has been hard to get down from.

Looking forward to seeing you at another camp!

Ron

4 Likes

Likewise, my friend. Let’s definitely stay in touch! Find me on FB… or throw a rock at me via my email… ffog@me.com
Paige

2 Likes