Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My Second Jam - and a question for y'all

So after lurking in the outer ring last week, I got pulled into the inner circle because not many folks showed up this week. A little scary at first, but after being encouraged (forced?) to play some breaks for songs that I’ve never learned (or even heard before) I learned that nothing terrible happened. I wasn’t very proud of what I produced, but at a minimum I played some form of the basic melody or chords/arpeggios (mostly single string like a guitar) and no one cared. So my goal next week is to include some sort of banjo lick in each improvised break - I have a few basic ones to pull from other songs. I just need to keep my wits and not get overwhelmed.

A couple of take-aways and some questions for you experts:

1. I’m never going to learn/know even half of the songs that are called. There wasn’t a single song called that I had ever practiced and many I’ve never heard before. So much of the jam is quickly figuring out the chord changes and listening for a basic melody to mimic. It’s a huge challenge but a fun puzzle to solve.
  2. Many of the other jammers are in the same predicament - they are stumbling through a break and just having fun getting to the other side. I’m fortunate that this is a beginner friendly jam - everyone is just having fun. I just needed to put my ego on the shelf and go along for the ride.

My biggest fail was dealing with songs that are called in the key of C and D. I just totally freeze. G obviously no problem. A with a capo I’m OK and starting to get better finding up-the-neck 4 and 5 positions. I even fumbled through a B-flat song w/capo. But what the heck do you do with C and D? Capo doesn’t seem to apply, and all the F/D shaped closed-position vamping gets pretty weird.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Steve

1 Like

Hi @sejman Steve Here is my advice heading forward. Go to the banjo section and scroll down the left column till you find Key of C Click on it and it will display lots of tunes in the Key of C.

Most will say Intermediate or Advanced. Don’t let that intimidate you. Usually the first part of the lesson will take you through a beginner version especially the Build-a-Break lessons. This will give you a basic foundation for playing in C and with a capo at the 2nd fret an intro to playing in D. Here is a little secret @BanjoBen loves playing tunes in the Key of C so you know it’s going to be fun.

For the time being avoid learning tunes in Drop C/D and stick with standard G tuning.

Once you know how to make an F Chord and an Am Chord you’ll find playing in C is as easy as playing in G. If you loose focus in a jam just quietly play rolls over a C chord that should get you through without loosing face.

1 Like

Thanks Archie - I’m on it!

1 Like

One option I find useful is the “I’ll sit this one out” lick.

While I am trying to determine how much over my head this song is, I’ll sit and listen & try to figure out what I would be doing if I were playing. If I figure it out before the song is over, I’ll quietly join in.

1 Like

Yup - that’s exactly what I did…get another beer, take a bio-break, etc.

The fiddle tunes like “Soldier’s Joy” are tough - I can play those in clawhammer style with double-C tuning (or double-D) and maybe I’ll give that a go next time (switch to some clawhammer). Hey, if it’s good enough for Steve Martin…right?

3 Likes

This sounds like an excellent jam! A few lessons come to mind:

It says “for guitar” but it’s made for all instruments: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/sight-training-for-guitar-beginner

Next, go to the banjo lesson page and select either the “key of C” or “key of D” tag on the left margin. That will filter for lessons that are in that key or dealing with how to play in those keys…enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks!