Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My next guitar :::

Going to drive down to Ca. on Fri. to try it and most likely buy it as it sounds like a very fair price for a new instrument. He just bought it from Music Villa last Sept. it is the one on their site where Tony demos it, that’s the very guitar, he got it didn’t like the short scale and it’s been a case baby ever since. I am now a Fanatic on short scales so I think it’s going to be a goo dun… check out Music Villa on you tube and you can listen to it. Jerry

I checked out the youtube clip. Man, that’s a nice guitar. Never tried a short scale Martin but now I’d really like to. Hope the deal works out for you Jerry.

J.W., I sold the Collings to a former state champion flatpicker who played it last year at a festival I attended. He wanted to buy it then (it was really that good of a guitar), but I wasn’t quiet ready to give up on that neck yet. When I finally decided to put it on the local Craigslist I called him first and he jumped on it. I bought it used for a really good price and sold it to him for the same, so everybody was happy. That guitar practically sold it’sself.

Jerry if you bring that Martin home I hope you can post a few pics of it!

Thanks, I understand how it was with your Collings, my Bourgeois was a spectacular guitar and if I had never tried the short scales I would have been a happy man forever. But, then I tried a Santa Cruz VS, and a Bourgeois Slope SS, and my Gibosn and now I am sold. I still like the Martin sound though and have not had one ever so when this came up I gave up on the Bourgeois or Santa Cruz I was looking at as they along with the Collings CJ35 were all over 3K and the Collings over 4K, well I just don’t play well enough to justify that kind of money anymore. No matter how much I spend on a guitar it still sounds like me :unamused: ,
I went and played a bunch of new Martins that just came into the store I go to and loved them all, D18, HD28v, D16 Adirondack, D28, and a Marquis, all great and kept thinking if this guitar was ss it would be perfect.
If you play most guitars of all different brands most time I could not tell you if it’s a Bourgeois or Collings or whatever, the ONLY one I hear that is easily picked out and distinct is the Martin, don’t know how they do it but the bass lines on a Martin sound like no other to me, no matter the price.
I listened to clips on reg scale ss and all the rest and don’t hear much difference in the Martin ss vs the regular scale guitar. For me the ss has opened up a new feel and relaxed play that I love, feels light to the touch, 3rd to 7th stretches are easy and I can use a heavier gauge string for better tone without beating up my left hand. I have also found my practice sessions have become much longer as I have stopped having fatigue in my hand after a few hours, I can go most of the day now off and on with no ramifications.
So I have convinced myself now after many guitars and brands it’s more important for me to be comfortable and playing well than what it says on the headstock. Just because Bryan Sutton plays Bourgeois didn’t make me any better, and he plays Martin most of the time I see him, and of late a Gibson J35. It’s the guy playing not the guitar, besides I can’t tell if a guy or gal is playing a short or long scale when i see them, that 1" is undetectable to me as to most unless they have micrometer eyes :open_mouth: :open_mouth: When I hear Russ B play his Gibson J45 I never gave a thought it was short scale sounded darn good.
When I get back Sat. I will post some photos… Jerry

I know what you’re talking about when referring to that Martin bass. I’ve still got my old HD-28 that my buddies call “Thunder” because of the rumble it sends to your chest. And you’re right about another thing too. No matter how great a guitar is, if it’s uncomfortable to play or leaves your hand cramping you might as well just let it go and find one more suitable for you. Looks like you’ve done just that with the short scale. Gotta look into those myself.

By the way it’s Saturday. Did you get the D-18 !!!

— Begin quote from ____

I’ve still got my old HD-28 that my buddies call “Thunder” because of the rumble it sends to your chest

— End quote

I love it when my guitar vibrates my rib cage. I get to feel the music as well as hear it.

Hi, just got back from my 1140 mile round trip stayed overnight half way back in Redding Ca. and got home late today. The trip was WORTH IT!! This guitar is absolutely new, not a sign of ever being played. Sounds fantastic and I played tunes with the guy I got it from for an hour before buying it, took to it right away, feels the same in scale as my Gibson but has the D18 sound for sure. Maybe a little more bass than full scale but I love it. It has the aged toner, ebony pins, bone nut and saddle, tortoise binding and pick guard and a case all as new, even has the Music Villa receipt and cards in the case. Orig. was 2495.00 in Sept. when he got it. He has a D28GE he plays and it sounds great as well the two together sounded spectacular. He just couldn’t get used to short scale at all. I got it for 1500 dollars.
My pictures aren’t very good sorry it’s a dark rainy day here on the coast. Jerry[attachment=0]DSCN0211.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSCN0210.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSCN0212.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]DSCN0209.JPG[/attachment]

Congrats! (In case anybody is wondering how I can respond during the UK - Wisconsin game, it’s half time :smiley: )

Well it looks like you pulled the trigger!!! What a great looking guitar. Looks a lot like the D-18V I used to have. Is it actually a short scaled version of the V? 1140 miles is a lot of driving but I bet it was a fun trip. And like you said. definately worth it. Thanks for sharing the joy with us Jerry!

Wow Jerry Congratulations! and a great price too! I am real anxious to hear a comparison to the J35. If you have to bash the gibson, I won’t be offended or reply back with capital letters :laughing: Let us know what your thoughts are

Nice looking guitar and I love the story of how far you went to get it.

Good morning guys, well got some rest and ready to give the guitar it’s first daily workout, the neck on this is a soft or modified V, not to chunky but not the PA neck which I don’t care for, has some depth and I like a little more wood, not a fan of super thin necks. Very close to my J35 in feel actually, it was an instant good feel for me.
We started playing a few fiddle tunes right off and I settled into it right away no adjustment, just felt like an old friend. Chords on this guitar are loud! and the sustain is really great, my Gibson decays twice as fast as this one.
I was not impressed with the J45 guess I shouldn’t have bashed it but when I see workmanship like that I always wonder how it got past an inspector? I mean it was awful, most likely just a bad day, my J35 has no issues of workmanship whatsoever.
I am giving serious consideration now to ordering a HD28 with short scale so I could get my Rosewood fix. Will wait a while and make sure my 18 lives up to my expectations, but being my first Martin I must say the build is flawless.
I also was surprised by the action which is very low, and the neck is straight so I will watch it now that it lives here on the coast and see if it changes at all but I think the humidity between Sacramento and here is pretty close in the winter, right now about 70% here but right at 50% in my room. My dehumidifier took a dump yesterday after 11 years, so I guess I can’t complain to much but I need to run up today and buy another.
I don’t know how it is in the south or eastern US but here on the coast 1100 miles is a straight 70 mph shot and I only had one stop light and that was in Sacramento at the bottom of the offramp. We can make a lot of miles on I5 fast and the mountains were snow free so it was Bluegrass on the CD player,JD Crow & Ricky and Tony Rice most of the way. Just need cruise control to keep the foot light, no cops in Oregon but Ca. I saw a couple of CHP. The first hundred miles from my house is winding hills along the Umqua River and not a car to be seen…Jerry

Good deal… I’m glad you feel right at home on it. It sounds like a great guitar.

Yep, sounds like he’s already bonding with it. Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?

Good to see that you didn’t have to tweak it any. Must have had a good set-up previously. In my experience a 10-15% humidity change shouldn’t cause you any trouble from where you’re at now unless it goes to the extreme either way and stays there.

1100 miles is a long way no matter where you live! Gruhn Guitars in Nashville is around 700 miles from me but I would have no problem making the trip if they had a guitar I wanted. And since I recently bought a new truck with satellite radio (think bluegrass channel) I could probably stretch that a bit!

That was Roundtrip! 495 one way, about 9hrs. The guitar is living up to my expectations so no sweat, I have the Satellite radio as well and yes the BG channel is great! Jerry

Wboops, I meant 700 miles round trip!

When we originally moved from Illinois back in the 70’s a long day trip was 50 miles back there, a few expressways and toll roads but slow going most of the time on two lanes. When we got to Ca. you can drive 70mph from one end in San Diego to the other end in Yreka without a stop, cross into Oregon and continue all the way up to Seattle, other than Portland traffic and the infamous Seattle jams you will only stop for gas.We travel in our RV in summer in Mt. Id.and Wy. and drive for days and rarely see a vehicle on the back roads.
This year we are heading to Il, Ky, Tn, Tx all the southern states we can make, never been there and I want to see Nashville real bad. So I imagine it’s slower moving there.Hoping to find some nice campgrounds and do a lot of day trips exploring, spend a few months on the road and head back here before snow starts on the passes, don’t do snow… :unamused:

Hey Jerry,

We just sold our 1982 Winnebago Brave this summer and you are making me nostalgic already. Our longest trip was from Philly across the south to San Diego (with stops at all the big holes in the ground), north to the giant sequoias, east to Las Vegas, then to Mount Crested Butte, northeast to the Great Lakes and home again (35 days in all).

There was this great little (Christian) campground in North Central Texas that was clean, friendly, had a great pool and was only $12 a night! Of course, it was in the middle of nowhere so there was not much to see. We took our trip over the summer and it was deadly hot in much of the south. I seem to remember that when we crossed Arizona it was 123 degrees. With the air-conditioner running full blast, we were able to get the interior of the motor home to a cool 105 degrees. :smiley:

Another good option when coming through North TX in the summer would be to stop at my place and give your AC a rest :smiley:

Careful Mike I might show up… :laughing: we won’t be there until Sept., Oct., Nov, we have spent time in Utah, and those areas in the summer, HOT!!! Usually we wait until late summer and fall to make long trips, and stay in Or, Ca,Wa, Id, in the summer months, gets hot inland here too but not mega hot. A steaming hot day here on the shore is 80 in summer average about 75 or so, once about 10yrs ago we had a 103 day, Well the whole town shut down for sure!! We ain’t got no air-conditioning around here!!! In fact this is the first house we have had here with central heat, most just have room wall heaters cause winter doesn’t get very cold and no snow here.
If you sell your motor home then you need to get another??? We have been rv’ing since 1976 and have never been without one, I have a 35’ fifth wheel and a diesel pickup, very comfy. We had a 39’ motor home when we came here originally in 2001 but we were living in it full time for two years before deciding to get another house. Don’t know what we would do without one, all our friends are rv’rs and we travel all summer long. The house pretty much stays empty and shut down till Dec. To much snow in the passes for safe travel Dec. thru Mar. so we lay low here. The fifth wheel is in the drive as we speak and we are leaving Fri. morning for a five day camp out with the Elks RV club.
I heard there is a cool guitar store in Tx called Hill Country Guitars… :mrgreen: Jerry