Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My Little Georgia Rose

I came across a tune called ‘My little Georgia Rose’ and loved it so much I had to learn it. I still need to work on my rolling timing to get it a bit smoother, but I think its a fun song to play. I managed to get it recorded.

16 Likes

Dude! That was great! Is that you playing all of the instruments? Did you figure out the banjo on your own or did you find a lesson?

Either way, great job!

3 Likes

Great job. Has somewhat of an endearing melody line. Love it!

2 Likes

That was awesome! Had to hit the replay button. Great job and can’t wait to hear what you have to share next .

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a great tune and you pick it well. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, For the melody I found a lesson online, and played all the other instruments one by one adding them to the mix. It still needs work on keeping it rolling smooth, but hopefully that will come the more times I play it.
I’ve just recorded the whole thing with vocals, and worked out some backup banjo by just simplifying the roll and then playing the melody on the breaks. I’m not too happy with my vocals though as it’s the first time I’ve sang a bluegrass number. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks all. Glad you liked it. It took a few takes to get it right ha! … Shhhh :wink:

1 Like

Wow, nice job! Sounds great!

Hi Jon, That was brilliant, one of my fav bluegrass tunes. Where did you find the lesson and is there TAB to accompany the tune. Been looking to learn this one for a long while.

Very impressive! You put a lot of time in to that recording and it really shows.

1 Like

Yes several hours :wink:
I’ve been watching Russ Carson playing it in a jam session today and trying to pick out bits of his back up. Looks as if he finger picks, vamps and throws in little licks here and there that are really cool. I doubt I will be able to pick out exactly what he does, but I’m going to try to mix it into my own version of back up. Give it a go anyway :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know of any tab Archie but I can point you in the direction of a YouTube vid that teaches you this song. If Ben doesn’t mind. Don’t want to tread on anyone toes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Jon

I am sure @BanjoBen won’t mind

Dude! :star_struck:

1 Like

I don’t mind :wink:

Great job on that! This is the version I first remember seeing: https://youtu.be/LReQdH-uzDU

3 Likes

Yeh! I’ve been watching that too @BanjoBen . That’s a really great version. I don’t know how he manages to pick banjo and sing. I guess it’s years of practise. I can pick guitar and sing, but still find it awkward when I try with banjo :stuck_out_tongue:
I love how the ending has a dead stop. Been trying to work out what lick to use for the ending. I guess several would fit. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great job Jon! That was amazing!!

1 Like

Wow. Loved that version!

1 Like