Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My first Jam!

Well, I fulfilled my new years resolution and went to my first ever bluegrass jam last night and it was an AMAZING experience for me!

I was the only banjo, but we had two mandos, a four guitars, two fiddles and one dobro. And then, later in the evening a guy showed up with a Sax! This is a regular group that meets twice a month and they are GOOD so naturally, I was a bit nervous in the beginning.

So after I sat down, it was quickly my turn in the rotation for song choice and I picked Unclouded Day. Honestly, I did not know what to expect but it really worked! This is a song that I’ve mastered on my own, but playing with others took it to an entirely new level. As I nodded to the mando player next to me after my lead, he jumped right in and, although i fumbled a bit, i quickly got into the backup rhythm no problem.

So we went around the circle with many song choices that I didn’t know. This was a perfect way to hone my listening and backup skills. I did better with some (expected) but i was able to, for a few songs anyways, master the backup chord progression.

This was my first taste of playing with others and absolutely loved it. @BanjoBen you are 1,000% right that the best thing that you can do to get better is to jam with others. It was challenging, fun and very uplifting for me.

So for those that are apprehensive about attending a Jam …go for it! I’m a beginner/intermediate and loved every minute of it (I’m sure my wife is already tired of me talking about it!)

yahoo!

Jon

30 Likes

That is awesome Jon!!! :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

I love hearing this. There’s just no substitute for a good jam to push your skills to the next level. Good to hear it’s a group of skilled players, too. That’s not often the case.

7 Likes

thanks @Mark_Rocka agree. and it has helped my confidence too. I played last night for some friends and wasn’t as nervous!

1 Like

I just had the very same experience! Joined a local “slow jam” workshop that was setup right before the “real” jam but stayed on for the jam and sat in the back to play along. So much fun! It was great to see/hear the wide variety of skills, the openness/encouragement, and the big realization that almost everyone is stumbling, recovering, and just having fun - no judgement. I had a lot of fun in the background just noodling with some up-the-neck backup and fills since no one seemed to be doing that kind of stuff (had just gone through some of those lessons) so was fun to try some out (quietly at first, then a little louder as a gained confidence and was happy with how it sounded and added to the song). Honestly, the hardest part was learning to “lead” a song in the slow-jam workshop - being on the hook to lead a song, sing, takes some guts! Kudos to you Jon!

Oh by the way - just registered for the Cabin Camp in Big Fork, Montana - very excited!

7 Likes

Wow, this is awesome @justjon!

1 Like

thank you @BanjoBen, I’m heading to my second visit tomorrow night and will definitely make this a part of my routine from now on. thanks for your end of year goal setting exercise. i heard loud and clear from you that the best thing one can do to get better is Jam! Now I need to find my camp to attend!

3 Likes

great news indeed! Yes, so much fun. congrats.

2 Likes

Well done its always a daunting prospect at first to attend

1 Like

thank you!