Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My First (and perhaps last) Wedding to Officiate!

We’re off to Lesage, WV, in the morning to attend a wedding of some dear friends of ours. Hannah and I introduced this couple to one another at church a year ago, and now they’re getting hitched. AND, they asked me to marry them! I’ve never officiated a wedding. I’m a bit nervous, but you can’t go wrong Ephesians 5, right?

12 Likes

That’s really cool. How many people get to officiate the wedding of the couple they helped bring together?

You gotta be thinking “I really hope this one sticks.” :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, it could be my last, so I’m either 100% or 0% :wink:

4 Likes

Congrats… That is so neat. Since you introduced them to each other, they will never forget the circumstances. Believe it or not, it was a Banjo that induced me to meet Linda, my lovely wonderful wife of 33-years now. We’re still head over heels in love.

PS: Whatever you do, don’t choose “The Fight Is On” for the Recessional Hymn. Bad choice! :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome & intimidating at the same time! Wow, know you will do a good job. Have fun!

What a wonderful memory for everyone involved! Safe travels.

1 Like

Be Mr. Direct: Malachi 2:16 “I hate divorce,” says the God of Israel. God-of-the-Angel-Armies says, “I hate the violent dismembering of the ‘one flesh’ of marriage.” So watch yourselves. Don’t let your guard down. Don’t cheat. :wink:

Just in case anyone is wondering, I do not actually advocate this passage be used during a wedding ceremony. I have to admit though… it is a little more original to use that as opposed to 1 Corinthians 13. Might scare some folks though.

3 Likes

Yes!!!

Wow, that’s pretty neat… and a big responsibility, I mean, you introduced them and you’re going to marry them. For as long as they stay married Ben, don’t do any others, try to keep you record perfect :slight_smile:

Not the whole chapter though right? You’re starting with verse 15 or 22 or something, right? Or, maybe you should start with verse 1, and give them a very stern look while you read/recite it. Now that would be bold. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Here is an excellent resource to help build the marriage/family. A book by Jimmy Evans. Marriage on the tock - God’s design for your dream marriage. The older version was great and I hope the new version of this book too. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/marriage-on-the-rock-jimmy-evans/1111396576.

Ephesians 5 is great message, it can be the whole chapter.

1 Like

Read alternate sections of Hosea and song of Solomon, then play bury me beneath the willow! :joy::joy::joy: but seriously, I know you’ll do great, enjoy it!

1 Like

You know what’s funny? The wedding is on the farm of the bride that is literally on the banks of the Ohio River. I may try to work in a joke that the old song needs revamping!

4 Likes

If she heard that song, she might be playing this song as a response.

4 Likes

Oh man, I love officiating weddings! I can’t stay out of 1 John 4 to save my life.

1 Like

hmm…interesting that you mention 1 John 4…This is the main chapter I meditated lately and is what I wanted to share to show my point on real and fake Jesus on another thread. Will share soon.

What a perfect weekend! It was 80 degrees and beautiful on the banks of the Ohio!

11 Likes

Handsome couple, beautiful children.

lol… when me and my wife married in Las Vegas in 2010 we had to choose 3 Elvis songs but only choose two in advance so when we got to the chapel we left the last song choice to the Mother-In-Law…

when we were walking out of the chapel after being married the song started to play and you can imagine the rest… “We cant go on together with Suspicious Minds”… lol

3 Likes

Great picture Ben! I am happy the weekend went well.

Lee I think you pressed the “Play” button in my head. Now I’m hearing Elvis singing “Crying in the Chapel” A beautiful song:

First Verse (to jog memories):
"You saw me crying in the chapel
The tears I shed were tears of joy
I know the meaning of contentment
I am happy with the Lord

Just a plain and simple chapel
Where all humble people go to pray
I prayed the Lord that I’ll grow stronger
As I live from day to day"

Cool picture!!