Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

MP3 files - Playing along difficulties

Hi Friends!
As soon as I get into an MP3 file, I get lost. I count on words to know where I am in a song and these files typically don’t have the words. How do you know where you are in any given backup track/song without words?
I am not yet experienced enough to hear when a song goes from a “G” to a “C” chord.
And, maybe I know a particular song, but maybe not exactly when it starts. (or how long the pick up measure is)
I feel like this a common issue that there’s got to be a solution to.
Thanks for all the help! Very grateful
Rhett

3 Likes

Is there a specific song/ song you seem to get lost in.

2 Likes

Have you tried playing with the slow video?

2 Likes

Hi @rhett358 Rhett welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Let me just say right of the bat I have been studying banjo for 15 years and I still struggle to play along with some of the MP3 files. Hearing chord changes ain’t easy either. The key to learning these skills is listening and I really mean LISTENING. Making a chord change is like changing gear on a car with a stick shift. If you get there too soon or to late the car will soon tell you.

At the start of each MP3 Ben calls out the timing, by listening a few times you should be able to anticipate when to kick in. Hearing chord changes again is about listening and anticipating when to change chord. It helps also when you know the melody.

Check out this lesson and try strumming through the chords on the slow video, Once you get a feel for it try strumming through the MP3 files starting with the slowest @ 120 bpm. Then gradually move to a faster speed. Whatever you do don’t beat yourself up if you can’t do it. We all struggle at times and some of these MP3 files Ben’s counting can be confusing.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/you-are-my-sunshine-slides-banjo?from_track=beginner-banjo

1 Like

As @Zachary asked, please let me know a particular song and I’ll make a little vid showing some of the details.

4 Likes