Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Motivation - HELP!

“Hmmmm…let’see…Here’s Earth (where I live)…
… and here’s that place where people who can write their own tabs live.
Notice how advanced their civilization is compare to mine here on Earth?”
:milky_way:

3 Likes

It’s going to be interesting. I’ve been told many times I’m a natural born teacher, but when it comes to teaching your own kids, that’s different. I’ve heard even Ben got a piano teacher for his girls even though he’s a well trained pianist. There’s something about kids not wanting to do what parents ask. Maybe having a 3rd party teacher makes it feel less like a chore and more like fun? I’m not sure yet. My son is my last hope. Neither of my older girls had any interest in music.

3 Likes

No its far more interesting than that if you break down what you are learning as if you were to teach it someone else it goes into another area of your brain.
Ben’s build a break lessons were fully understood by me but I did not benefit from them until I started committing them to Tab.

2 Likes

Its Bens basic version Bars 1 to 4 then I worked on it for a different sound whilst the melody remains the same. Just like his build a break lessons but it was not until I started writing the Tab out that the whole process clicked. Might just be that I am dumb:wink:

2 Likes

As a beginner, I’ve had those moments! The most recent was when I noodling around and discovered a C chord at two places on the fretboard. All of a sudden I got a powerful glimpse of fretboad geography & it made sense! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Not sure what I consider myself on the Scale but there is always new ways to learn and get it. I am just mixing it all up to get progress. I write the notes down as well to look for other places I could play it on the fretboard the 2nd or 3rd time round maybe.

3 Likes

the best thing i ever did was stop trying to “practice” and start playing along with my favorite band
Sure along the way I try and learn new things but I play an hour or more a day and it never gets old in fact the better I get the more fun it is. I also play in a very amature band and it also gives me a reason to play more and playing with others is fun.

Find some music you like and play along.

6 Likes

Not sure if anyone has told you lately, but you rock!

2 Likes

I listen to music, especially Katy Clark’s banjo, and it doesn’t take many songs to get me to pick up my banjo and play. I don’t think of it as a chore, especially when I set a goal to master one skill, even if it’s the smallest or most basic thing. Some days I spend a couple hours working on one song. Some days I just play what I like.

4 Likes