Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

More Tab Request

Anyone know where I can find a tab for “Don’t Fence Me In” at a beginner level ??

1 Like

Wow that takes me back to when I was a kid. Roy Rogers sang it. Suggest you try a Google search. Maybe something on the Banjo Hangout

1 Like

I found nothing on BHO, but what a great melody to pick out by ear!

2 Likes

I checked out a version on the BHO archive and Ben is going to see if Michael can do anything with it.

1 Like

This is actually a great learning opportunity for you @kooseman. The easy way out would be to pay Michael to write the tab, but let’s work to get better.

Take the verse and see if you can find ONLY the melody notes on your banjo. This is best done by singing the song, pausing on each note until you find it on your banjo. Let me know your results

2 Likes

For those of you following along and also wanting to get better, here’s the recording that @kooseman referenced https://www.banjohangout.org/song/2337

1 Like

Thanks Ben. I’ll give it a try and hope for the best.
Just in case, can Michael be “plan B” ??? :cowboy_hat_face:

I am hearing a lot of alternating thumb rolls with 2-3 2-4 (Cripple Creek) slides. So that is a great reference point to work from @kooseman Steve

1 Like

yes, yes… think of how easy it could be…

In all seriousness, this is a perfect opportunity to exercise your ear—you have to start building your own breaks somewhere and this is a great place! I’ll be happy to help you out if you can’t find some of the melody notes.

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll definitely give it a serious try :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Michael, was able to find the majority of melody notes. Still working on
that. However, I’m having some difficulty trying to fill in between them
with what I can do at this level. Sort of like Ben’s Build A Break options.
Can you please assist ? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sure, please send a video of what you have now so I can have a baseline of where you’re at. We’ll add rolls and licks based on how the melody notes lay out.

Please post a vid of you playing the melody notes…you up for it @kooseman?