Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mike Hauri from Evansville, WI!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Listening to music with my grandma got me interested in the banjo. Then working at a music store I had the opportunity to purchase one and get lessons to start.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Overall 6 years but seriously for 2 years. Trying to improve and the satisfaction from learning a new lick or song is my motivation to play.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
The bag o licks lessons are always fun and building solos. It gives you different ways to think of approaching your playing.

What’s your goal when playing?
Always improve and enjoy the process

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I am a saxophone player and I really enjoy playing blues and jazz. I also really like playing rock n roll sax.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
5 years

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Get the best you can afford. I find pro level instruments are better to learn on

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would love to get a Stelling Virginian

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I saw his early videos on YouTube

Thanks for letting us feature you Mike!

13 Likes

Mike, congrats on being the gpotw! Like you, I’m from a band instrument background and enjoy blues and jazz. Thanks for sharing!

gif Mike on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

That is so true! I love wilderness camping. Load what you can in the canoe and paddle to where there are no roads. Often when newbies do this, they buy cheap stuff. In case they don’t like the experience, they are not out too much cash. Trouble is, cheap stuff generally fails when you need it the most, so you end up having a miserable experience.

Congrats on being the GPOTW!

1 Like