Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Michael Logan from Ellensburg, Washington

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I was a young boy. I thought maybe girls would like me if I could play guitar. Then I found that I liked guitar more than I liked girls

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing for over a decade. My motivation is that I enjoy the challenge and expression of music

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Too hard of a question. But wayfaring stranger is a fun tune. Teaches how to weave a melody and chords together.

What’s your goal when playing?
Connection to the moment and with others

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
It’s easiest to say I play strings.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
On off for a while now

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I don’t, but I enjoy Travis picking a lot.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. The entire band is amazing musicians.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
My favorite accessory is a pick holder that I attached to my pick guard

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
A Martin Of some sort. A prewar banjo would be cool too

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Definitely practice more.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
YouTube when I first started learning the banjo

Anything else you’d like to add?
I think y’all are doing a great job with the site

7 Likes

Welcome Michael! Congrats on being GPOTW!

That’s awesome!

Ok now I’m curious and want to hear the whole list. I also play “strings” but also some winds

1 Like

I play banjo, guitar, mandolin, stand up bass, electric bass, a weird instrument called a strum stick, violin (very poorly albeit). I also play harmonica and some percussion instruments. I’m primarily a banjo and guitar person though.

3 Likes

Ok cool! That’s similar to my list. I’ve heard of the strum stick, but can’t recall what exactly it is?

1 Like

It’s based on the dulcimer but the frets are spaced in a diatonic fashion and tuned to a open chord. Thus making it easy to play for anyone. It’s a fun little instrument

1 Like

Hi Mikee! Thanks for sharing.
I lived in Yakima awhen I was growing up…remember a street in Ellensburg made if brick. Is that still there?

2 Likes

Congrats on being the GPOTW, and thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Hey Peg, I don’t think so, but I think there is remains of it still. Also many of the bars and buildings are made from brick still

2 Likes

Congrats on GPOTW Michael, I love your honesty :slight_smile:

Ellensburg was a favorite stop over on my very frequent road trips from Seattle to Grandview and points south. We hope to hear from you on the forum from time to time.

So who is that you’re playing with in the picture and where? Do you play somewhere regular?

2 Likes

That’s my former band mate Britany. We were playing at a local venue called Old Skools. Right now I’m not playing anywhere but my couch, but I’m in the works to start playing publicly again

3 Likes