Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mic and software

Im thinking of buying mic for recording banjo and
a software for it. Do you ppl have any suggestions?
Home use for fun don’t need professional studio equipment

1 Like

Hi Mats, Great post. I am no expert on audio setup’s but when I started recording myself I bought a ProSound Reed Mike and everything sounded quite tinny. I then upgraded to a Samson Pro condenser Mike. The key word being CONDENSER. Make sure whatever mike you choose to go with you make that your Default. Disable your computer mike to eliminate feedback and echoing. I don’t use any additional software when I am recording videos. But I do have Audacity if I just want to record audio files. You should also consider your sound card if you have a games computer you most likely have a good sound card. If your computer is designed on a home/business build you may need to upgrade the sound card.

Ok thanks. Stopped at local store. He put together
Some stuff into a package deal. Bit more money than I expected but it will be a Christmas gift for me self then :grin:

You generally get what you pay for, buddy. Let me know what he recommended. I use a Shure SM7b on almost everything. It’s a dynamic mic but I run a Cloudlifter CL-1 in the chain that boosts it to more of a condenser response.

+1 for the SM7b. I’ve had it for several years and love it as a vocal mic, and it seems to do well with whatever I throw at it. I don’t have a CL-1, I might take a look at one of those. Do you use it live or just when recording?

There are some “cheap” condensers that are really impressive for specific uses, but they don’t have near the flexibility or durability of the SM7.

Regarding software, there are good packages at any price point. I use (and like) Reaper.

I don’t use the SM7b live, though it would be great. I always have the cloudlifter in the chain. I keep one downstairs for the SM7b that goes into the camera for the videos, and one upstairs for my computer recording rig. Love it! It’s worth the price, Mike!

1 Like

I’d be curious what the CL-1 would do for an SM58. One of the guys on the forum was wanting to record with a 58. I’ve always thought the SM7 acts like an SM58 on steroids. Then again, you start looking at an SM58 plus a Cloudlifter and you are in a range where you can get some decent condensors. Still, it would be interesting to try.

would say it landed on ca 420$
RODE NT1-A kondensator Studio Kit
Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen
and a floor mic stand that are robust.

Rode’s are good mics

Great topic. I’m such a nube on this stuff. Any discussion on how-to’s is really appreciated. I got a yeti usb mike for the iphone and garage band and also use it for my lappie and audacity. Got everything to record but it was lousy quality (yeah, it was the musician, too). :blush:

I have a Focusrite pre-amp and have no complaints.

Mic stands are good too!

Someone here recommended the Blue Yeti USB. I happen to know I’m getting one for Christmas. I’ll post a review in a few weeks. I definitely like the idea of not needing a lot of extra gear to record to my Mac.

2 Likes

I also have a blue yeti (it’s black actually). Very easy to use. Plug in the usb directly to the laptop or use the little converter to plug in to the iphone. I am not knowledgeable about settings so I haven’t had good results and I am anxiously awaiting your review!

1 Like

Oh, it sounds like you got the Pro model. I didn’t even know a Pro existed until yesterday. The reviews I found say it’s better than the base model. We’ll see how it goes. If the one I’m getting sounds bad, I might have to try the Pro.

And that reminds me, Amazon.com has changed their price matching and refund policy. They used to price match and do partial refunds if they dropped the price of something you recently bought. Not only do they not do that any more, they now charge a restocking fee. After doing some reading, it seems this is a very new policy change. I think it’s going to affect who I buy from in the future.