Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Medals Galore

Can someone please explain how these cadets have so many medals. I served 9 years in the British Army and received my one and only medal for active service during the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

I can’t imagine these young cadets having served much active service. So I am hoping someone with some knowledge can educate me,

2 Likes

As far as Cadet’s go, they have their own awards, ribbons, and personal recognition that they can wear on their cadet uniforms. I suspect many of the ribbons you see here are academic achievement, club awards, military proficiency awards, etc. Those ribbons will not carry over into their active duty uniform, unless it is a Dept of Defense federal award (ex: National Defense Ribbon). But I agree with your initial take. Lately, I’ve only been wearing 2 rows on my class A. It’s just gotten too busy. I may have truly earned around 3 of them. The rest are just “thanks for being here” awards.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation @Brent.H I have also come across videos of regular soldiers and marines calling out stolen valour. It happens here in the UK but not quite to the same extent. Cadets over here are awarded rank or merit badges for trades or marksmanship. In some cases special headdress such as red berets and wings for parachute jumps.

I should add there weren’t many conflicts the Brits had to deal with during my service period. No medals for the Cold War with Russia

2 Likes