Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Me and my banjo

By trade I’m an online marketer, but I also do photography (semi-professionally). Specifically, wet plate collodion. I’m what you’d call an “ambrotypist”. I make images on glass using a 150 year old form of photography.

This is what I did over my lunch hour (I work from home, and my studio is in the basement)… me and my Ibanez banjo on black glass.

Nice to meet y’all!

21 Likes

Nice work Mike!

2 Likes

Very cool!

3 Likes

Cool!

Is the reverse image a result of your process?

3 Likes

Love the “texture” to the photo!
Good “banjo face,” too! :smile:

4 Likes

Scary fear

5 Likes

There’s 7200ws of flash hitting me in the face. To put in perspective, a typical portrait with a digital camera is done with about 200ws - 400ws of power. So… yeah… I kind of forgot to smile. :rofl:

The texture is part of what makes collodion so cool. Every plate is unique.

4 Likes

that is a very cool and unique skill, I personally do not know anyone else that can do that

2 Likes

That’s very cool!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s definitely unique, even amongst photographers. I’m into what is called “alternative processes”. Alt processes is just another way of saying “making pictures the way they did a LONG time ago”. Platinum printing is another passion of mine. That’s how photos were printed in the mid to late 1800’s. It uses actual platinum and palladium to create the image, and is still used for some high end art photos.

This is a platinum print I did from a collodion negative:

7 Likes

You know what
This style goes along perfectly with Bluegrass and all things Vintage and Retro. You could turn into a business if you wanted to. I am not saying you should, it is just so good I believe the potential would be there for the taking.

2 Likes

I hope this is okay with @BanjoBen, but since you mentioned it:

https://mikethomson.net - My personal site
https://artisanphotographic.com - This is my printing site. I can take modern images and print them in platinum for people looking for something special.

If it’s against the rules posting links… please delete this post.

4 Likes

I read Edward Curtis story…he was a pioneer I the technique I believe?

2 Likes

Frederick Scott Archer is generally credited with the creation of the wet plate collodion process.

I believe Edward Curtis was one of the first documentary photographers that used wet plate almost exclusively in his work. Honestly, I’ll have to do more research on Edward Curtis.

2 Likes

I think that’s the coolest thing ever! Gives me ideas for my bear skull, too. Lol.

4 Likes

I have a brown bear skull on my site @BanjoBen. :grinning:

2 Likes

There is a big difference between craftsmanship and proficiency, vs google knowledge. I would rather hold the picture album in my hand and look at the pictures than flip through the files on the iPad.

Amazing Photos

I am blessed to have found the Purple Hulls ( Katy & Penny) and then find out that they have a brother who has a teaching site. And, if you ever attend a camp or happen to meet other members, you will discover that all of them are craftsman, professionals, and artists in other fields.

5 Likes

Talk about a lost art! Very cool. Nice to meet you, Mike!

3 Likes

Thanks guys!

It’s always nice to be appreciated! I’m so thankful I found this site, and group of people. I’m not able to attend camp this year, but maybe next year. I’d love to bring my camera and chemicals and make pictures of y’all at a camp. Talk about a blast!

7 Likes

That would be incredible and I’d help fund it.

4 Likes