Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mastering Mando Tremolo

I have been working on Ben’s Amazing Grace/Tremolo lesson and watched the Nick Dumas Pro Picker video. Still trying to get better at mastering this technique. Anybody got any good practice gouge? Tremolo exercises? I have been using Ben’s “triple it, triple it” that he discusses in his lesson, just curious if any of you found a particularly effective practice routine to gets that great tremolo sound. Thanks in advance!
Jeff

4 Likes

@Jeff_Perryman, I worked on tremolo in a scale pattern so there’s reason to the notes I’m playing but it doesn’t make me think particularly hard about the actual notes I’m playing. I also use a metronome starting slowly and doing all 8th notes, down-up picking, 2 notes per click; then I double the notes to 16th notes keeping the metronome the same speed, down-up down-up picking, 4 notes per same click speed. Then double the notes again making it 8 notes per click, slowing down the metronome if needed, and then I worked up the metronome from there until it sounded good and smooth

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

@Lucy_L Lucy, that’s a systematic approach. I like it!

5 Likes

Thank you Lucy, I will give that a try

2 Likes