Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mark Jacobs from Wheeling, IL!

Tell us about you and your family!
Married to Donna with 7,1/2 Grandkids(one on the way) Live in wheeling Illinois. Thankful to have my kids(2) and grandkids close by. Love Playing banjo ( a little obsessed). Thankful for the hope God has given me through Christ.

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Don’t laugh but, coming form Chicago area there wasn’t much banjo playing. But when I heard Earl Scruggs play the theme from the Beverly Hill Billie’s I couldn’t believe my ears! I was hooked!

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Started playing in the summer of my sophomore year in highschool. I bugged my dad to get me lessons at a local music store and buy me a student banjo (I was persistent). I plucked and played for that summer and more but I put my banjo away for many years and went to College at Wheaton and then to Dental School. I almost forgot about the banjo. I Continued studying another musical love, classical singing. I sang classical concerts for 30 years taking voice lessons and putting my musical efforts into performances of Handel’s Messiah and other oratorios and worship leading, But about 8-10 years ago my daughter came home from college and said “Hey Dad can I learn how to play your banjo?” It had been sitting in the corner, the strings were rusted and out of tune. I said “sure”. And I got new strings and tuned it up and she got a book on how to play the banjo from the library, I think it was “banjos for dummies”. After plucking it a few times she said “this is too hard” and promptly forgot about it. So there I was with new strings on an old banjo, a book on how to play the banjo and I said to myself “I’m doing this”!!! Now I like to say when I was a child I did classical music but now that have I grown up ( which is debatable) I play bluegrass…

So this is a long answer to a short question. But I’ve been playing for about 10 years but started along time ago…

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
One of the lessons that I go over most is Allen Munde’s Fret board Geography. I am looking for that thing to turn the light bulb on in my playing…Hasn’t gone on yet…

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
see above

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Scruggs style

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Union Station is a favorite but never would want to replace Ron Block, love his playing and the Grascles love Kristin Scott Bensen’s playing!

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
A good Banjo with a great sound is it. I play a Frank Neat Kentucky

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I like what I have

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
I m a Dentist in Chicago area; time with my grand kids; some occasional soloing in local churches and worship leading when they need someone for hymns.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Playing in a bluegrass band 4 times a year for Bluegrass worship, we don’t even have a name

Thanks for letting us feature you Mark!

17 Likes

Hey Dr Mark - great meeting you at Camp and nice to see you again!

2 Likes

Hey Mark, congrats on being the gpotw! Enjoyed reading your responses above, and wish you lots of fun in your musical pursuits. :grinning:

2 Likes

Mark, congrats on being the Gold Picker of the Week. I think you are probably in good company by wanting to play banjo after hearing the theme to The Beverly Hillbillies!

3 Likes

gif Mark on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. Frank Neat is a great banjo maker. I am envious.

2 Likes

Nice getting to know you Mark! I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Nice to meet you, Mark!

1 Like