Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mandolin

Okay, So I am having a hard time learning mandolin. I really want to sing and want to play songs and sing songs I enjoy. Can you do that with the mandolin? Will it sounds good? I’d rather not start all over on a new instrument, because of the time I spent learning and also I don’t have to money for another. Can I sing my heart out on a mando? or is it just a back up instrument, I haven’t found one song that I can sing too on here, It’s just picking.

1 Like

Mandolin is a great instrument to sing and play to!
A Friend I used to play in a band with travels all over doing it as a solo act…

1 Like

You can definitely sing with mandolin, check out Sierra Hull for some great examples of that

1 Like

Mandolin may not be the best instrument to play and sing along with, solo but it far better than a tuba :+1:

Dave, nice suggestion. Brian Oberlin is pretty awesome, I hadn’t heard him before.

Here’s a song I like playing and singing with.

2 Likes

Seriously, if you want to mostly sing and play an instrument to go along with your singing, learn the guitar. It is easier to play simple sing-a-long stuff and less expensive to get a decent instrument.

I learned how to play the banjo from this site and play a little mandolin. I really like the sound of the mandolin but it depends where your priorities are.