Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mandolin Armrest Add-On?

I searched for this on the forum but didn’t see it discussed…

I have a 20 year old Fender mandolin that my now-wife gave me early in our relationship. It’s a beautiful instrument that plays well. You’d think that after 20 years I could PLAY it better but that’s another story (suffice it to say that an airline pilot job doesn’t leave a lot of time home to play….thank Goodness I retired from that last year!). (I am now taking lessons AND using my Gold Pick Member status to soak up everything I can from this website.)

Anyway, I see Ben playing one of his mandolins that has a small arm or forearm rest on it. I have a tendency to rest my inner write or other arm parts on the strings below the bridge….I suspect this doesn’t help the sound much.

I was wondering if it is possible to install an armrest on a mandolin post-production…or is this something that “they” do only during construction?

I am going to be at the late April camp and would be willing to “surrender” my mandolin for an evening or a few hours or whatever it would take to install an armrest if such a task is possible.

Thanks ahead of time for any input you have!

Ciao,
Ron

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure one of the guys from the store will be there to check out your instrument. Might want to contact the store or @aliciabowman ahead of time just to make sure.

If you’re looking for an armrest Ben"s store has several choices (link below)
https://store.banjobenclark.com/pages/search-results-page?q=mandolin+armrest

Ir normally doesn’t take but a few minutes to install one and I’m pretty sure someone will find the time to help you out. Many people install them by themselves…it’s quite simple.

4 Likes

Dave is spot on. I put an armrest on a mandolin of ours. It is super easy. It stays attached via friction. There are two barrel nuts that you tighten and that’s it. You can tighten it a little, then double check to make sure it is sitting the way you want, then tighten up a bit more so it doesn’t move. It is totally reversible too, so you can take it off.

2 Likes

@ScubaNut2014 i got a mandolin arm rest a couple months ago. it seems to help me get my right hand in a better position away from the strings. I really like having it on my mandolin! @mike_r was correct on the barrel nuts. I put mine one, it just took me a few minutes to figure out the barrel nut tightening but I’m sure the folks at the camp can put it on quickly.

2 Likes

Hey Stuart, Mike and Fiddle-Wood:

Thanks for the advice and recommendations! I probably should have looked at the BBC store first but I didn’t think of it….so thanks for steering me there. I’ll do a little research (aka You Tube) about how to mount this…maybe I’ll put it on now so I can have some practice with it before camp.

Thanks again!
Ron

1 Like

I suspect there will be no getting used to it required. It just feels “right” as soon as I tried it. Have fun, good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks…that makes sense. These Dr. Arm brand ones are getting good reviews…but the one I want is out of stock everywhere…even at the manufacturer. Ah well, no rush.

1 Like

So this was interesting. I decided to order one of these from the manufacturer. Their website says they make them in eastern Europe but they ship from Knoxville. I was amazed that it showed up a week later! I installed it and really like it. Great construction, easy install…keeps my arm in a better spot.

3 Likes

Ron,

I asked Bruce Weber at Montana Luthier to add both an armrest and pickguard to a NOS mandolin I recently bought. His method uses hidden supports so it looks like they are floating. It’s an option you can consider and you can even get your bride’s name inlaid in it.

Three years and 10 months until I can retire. I’m so jealous!

Tom

1 Like

Tom I can tell you retirement rocks!

I ended up getting a Dr. Arm armrest directly from the manufacturer. Installation was a breeze and it looks and works great.

3 Likes

I got a dr. Arm armrest for my Big Mon recently too and I absolutely love it!

6 Likes

Cool! Great color for you mandolin, too! I with a darker one and it looks great with my mando.

3 Likes

I too am in the Dr. Arm gang :grin:

A friend played my mandolin once and was like “oh yeah, you must have one of those, uh… ‘Arm doctor’ armrests or something” :joy:

3 Likes

Wow, That looks so good on your Mando! is that the mandolin you had last time I saw you?

2 Likes

Yep! Kentucky KM-850… bought from the General Store 3 years ago. I love it!

2 Likes

Now I feel so left out…

2 Likes

You need one haha

1 Like

Well, I didn’t know I needed one so I’ll try to make do for now :joy:

1 Like

Time to visit Dr. Arm!

2 Likes

The 1.4mm picks feel completely normal now.

4 Likes