Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Mando recommendation

I’m focused on the guitar track, but I am considering taking up the mando at some point in the future. I’d like to save up for a Gibson. Does anyone have any input on the F5G or F9? I’m looking for a forever instrument to learn on and love, not a cheapie to sell after a year. I know there are a lot of cheap mandos of dubious quality out there and I’d like to make a sound decision.

1 Like

Howdy @Chad_K!

It’s hard to go wrong with a Gibson. They’re not making near as many these days and the ones they are making seem to be top notch. I have an F5G made in 2006 and I’ve enjoyed it. I do have to say that I believe you get as much mando or more for your money with the Northfield line of mandos. Another one to check out is Hinde…wow, they’re incredible. You won’t make a bad decision with any of those, and there are lots of other great little mando makers I could say the same about.

4 Likes

Thanks, Banjer Ben. I’ll keep Northfield in mind, along with the F5G.

2 Likes

Not that I’ve played a lot of mandos, but when I played Ben’s Big Mon, it just boomed. I thought it had surprising low end for a mando. The sound seemed to fill the room. Plus, it is just a beautiful instrument to behold. I don’t know how Ben rates it against his others, but I told myself if I ever wanted to upgrade, that’d be my next purchase.

3 Likes