Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Luthier School

A while back @BanjoBen told me that when I was ready he would point me in the direction of some luthier programs that I could learn more about the trade from. I am at the point where I am looking at graduating high school and am searching out different career paths. Any help would be appreciated! :grin:

6 Likes

Hi Kaleb, Depending on where you live it might be worth your while to search Google or the Banjo Hangout for Luthier’s near you to pick up some tips and skills before attending Luthier School.

3 Likes

If you’re into guitars I’d suggest looking into Brian Galloup’s school.

6 Likes

Thanks @Fiddle_wood that looks like a great school! I’m going to go get some more information about it! :grin:

5 Likes

It really is. I’ve known Brian for many years and we’ve played some music together. I even took some guitar lessons from him maybe ~35 years ago.

Most any of my friends and myself wouldn’t think of going to anyone who wasn’t him or one of his students for any important guitar work.

4 Likes

Kaleb, there are many paths to good training and apprenticeships and while you are pursuing your search, check out forums that are patronized by some of the best makers working today. One example is this one: Acoustic Guitar Forum . I don’t know which instrument(s) you are headed towards, but that is a start. Study the materials (tonewoods, tools) and the general processes employed and also the instrument makers’ approach to excellence. Good luck!

3 Likes

He doesn’t have a great website, but this guy is a premiere Nashville luthier who now teaches: http://www.guitarservices.com/training.asp

5 Likes

Hi Kaleb.

Here are a few interesting documentary films I found on YouTube and thought they may be of interest you

6 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll look into his classes. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the videos @Archie. I’m working through watching them. :smiley:

2 Likes