Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Low D string buzz

I just changed the strings on my Twanger the other day and I noticed that there was a slight buzz when I hit the low D string with about med force. Figuring it was maybe a bad string I ordered another pack and replaced today. No improvement. It seems like it’s coming from the bridge but when I press down behind every fret there is no buzz. Also bridge is still in line with previous marks so did not move during string change. I cleaned out the nut and bridge slot and put a little #2 pencil in both also removed tail piece cover still no improvement. Do y’all have some suggestions. Thanks in advance :smiley:

4 Likes

Is it possibly the first fret is too high?

3 Likes

Did you perhaps change sting gauge? If you went to a lighter gauge than the previous string, you would have less tension on the neck and you might need a truss rod adjustment. I am sure a good setup will take care of it. You can do the truss rod adjustment yourself. It’s pretty simple, just do your research beforehand, and make very small changes. Be sure to retune and check again before making any follow up adjustments.

5 Likes

Maybe it needs the action to be raised just a fraction of an inch?

3 Likes

Wow thanks all for the speedy replys

1 Like

I just got it from Banjo Ben’s store and this is the first time I’ve changed the strings so I’m not sure what strings were on it. I put on elixir polyweb lights so maybe others were closer to med?

2 Likes

check the tension screw on the tailpiece

2 Likes

I’ve heard the strings that come stock on the Twanger are pretty heavy.

4 Likes

If the stock strings are heavy and you went to lighter strings, it’s possible you are hearing some buzz from the enlarged bridge and nut slots. You could look up the neck carefully and make sure there’s distance between the string and the first fret. That’s where I’d start.

3 Likes

If it is a Presto style tail piece, you should check the string cover. I had that same issue and a very small felt pad placed on the underside of the string cover took care of my problem. The pad I used is probably 1/16” thick and the diameter of the eraser on a pencil.

3 Likes

You looked in the right places and to top that off, you got a bunch of great suggestions so far. I have a new banjo and it developed a little rattle as well that it took me a while to locate. Mine ended up up being a little bit in the tailpiece and a more significant one in the g string slot (that was the worse culprit).

Other things to check:
Make sure the resonator mounting screws are not loose
check that the truss and coordinator hardware (like washers) can’t rattle
Check that the tailpiece mounting is not loose and that the tailpiece is not touching the ring

Good luck, you’ll find it! It took me a while (and some help on the phone with Jake and Adam) to exorcise the rattles from mine. Banjos seem to be more rattly than most instruments.

2 Likes

And by the way, I took the tailpiece cover off, put it in a baggie with the two mounting screws and threw it in the case early on. It didn’t seem like it would do me any good and just looking at it, I thought it looked guilty of rattling (a false accusation on my part).

2 Likes

When I play the open low D string HARD. I sometimes hear an intermittent buss/rattle. If the middle G string is fretted, it doesn’t buzz. To me, the buzz is a trade off for a better set-up and playability. The tone quality is good the entire length of the neck. I have fret clearance and everything is tight. Adam and Justin checked it out at camp in April. They swapped the bridge and helped the issue. I’ve messed around looking for the buzz and I think it’s in the bridge and/or tailpiece area.

The buzz is now an indicator for me to relax and lighten up. I catch myself “digging in” when I’m frustrated.

4 Likes

I never use the covers on my Presto tailpieces. A lot of banjo players don’t I’ve noticed.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll mess with it more today with what y’all have said in mind. :+1:

3 Likes

After applying what y’all said and doing some more reading I slipped a small bit of paper in the nut under the string. I’ve been playing for about an hour now and not one single buzz. My question now is does this mean I need to adjust the rod or maybe go back to heaver strings?

4 Likes

As of last night that’s where mine lives as well. It just looked like a problem waiting to happen. :joy:

4 Likes

Hey, how dare you guys discriminate against that innocent tailpiece cover! You must have unconscious bias against tailpiece covers. You’re probably truss-rod-cover supremacists! Banjo microaggression!

6 Likes

Oh please, give me a break :roll_eyes: (no pun intended):grin:

4 Likes

@Michael_Mark hey now- that’s a little off key :notes::grin:

4 Likes