Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lost all my money, er I mean railroad spike

So, on my resonator banjo I lost my railroad spike on the 7th fret. Rather than going to a luthier, can I just get a thumbtack or something and a big hammer and pound it in there? Where’s a good place to get just one of these things and should I use a 9 pound hammer? That one is a little too heavy for my size…

4 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t recommend a 9 pound hammer for sure…:grimacing:

However, I do know a couple of guys who could step you through the process, and can even sell you a replacement spike:
https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/parts/products/5th-string-banjo-spikes-set-of-12

:grinning:

5 Likes

Check out Jakes Video - This is one from his time with Janet Davis

3 Likes

Ok, so I hmmmd and hawwd thinking I didn’t want to pay $4 in shipping to get a pack of 12 spikes that only cost $5, but I have yet to find one lying around on the street somewhere so I bit the bullet and just ordered them. But… I still had a hard time justifying that shipping for just the spikes so I bought 4 packs of strings too. So, now I spent $30 to get my spike, but I think it’s better because of economies of scale or something.

2 Likes

I congratulate you on your math :wink:

I don’t make any money off the shipping. We ship everything with tracking so that costs a bit more than the cheapest shipping.

4 Likes

Is this a sort of Colman’s Mustard moment
@BanjoBen

1 Like