Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Looking for validation on beginner Mandolin

So, I’m a cat’s whisker away from taking a stab at the mandolin (have been working on the banjo for a few years), but I want to start on a budget, in case it doesn’t work out. Any reason I WON’T be happy with that Loar LM 310 F in the store? Just a little nudge will get me to spend the money.

6 Likes

You will not regret it at all, and you’d better get it before my lesson comes out later this week that urges folks to try them…haha. Not a sales tactic, just the truth. We only have 4 in stock. They are killer for the money.

11 Likes

How’s that for a nudge? aaf_lol

8 Likes

@Scottie

I had one that I donated to a child that wanted to learn to play mandolin and I will say it was a decent beginners mandolin and you cannot beat the price on them it was way better then what i started out on and they are way better looking then in the photos vary nice looking and vary good sounding stay way from the ibanez line in the same price range because they are junk i literally blew two of the ibanez apart at the neck where it attaches to the body just trying to get them to tune up

6 Likes

@Scottie, I can’t speak to offering any advice about what TO do, but I can offer some advice about what NOT to do…

Like you, I’m a banjo guy and have been thinking about getting a mandolin (and maybe a guitar). I’ve got some ideas about what I may want, but budgets will ultimately dictate. :slightly_smiling_face: Anyway, I was beginning to make plans (and saving up for a starter mandolin) when I saw this random ad pop up from a monster dealer with a one-day-only-offer. It sounded so good and so inexpensive…so on a whim, and in a moment of weakness, decided to order one. When it finally arrived it looked like this on the outside:

And like this on the inside:

I’m not happy with the handling from UPS, not happy with the quality of the shipping materials (and lack of case), not happy with the quality of the instrument, not happy that a month later I’m still trying to get some financial relief, and most of all not happy with myself for being unwilling to wait and save up for something better and buy it from the General Store. In my case (or lack thereof), it really was a stupid deal of the day for me.

Signed,
Mandolinless in Bluffton

6 Likes

Wow! That looks horrible. alright, i’m now a half cat whisker away, and i’m trusting Ben and his crew to help make sure nothing like that shows up at my door. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I have bought a couple instruments from the general store. Both were packed extremely well and arrived unharmed.

8 Likes

@xmark judging by the looks of the box it was delivered to you in I am surprised it was not damaged more then it was

that was the fear I had when I ordered my two banjos my Reiter Grand Concert arrived in a timely manner unscaved and my Rickard ended up being sent back to the shipper and then re sent to me simply because the ups delivery driver that lied about attempting to deliver the first time, it ended up sitting in phoenix for three days at no fault of the people i purchased it from, we both tried to get ups to re deliver but to no avail ups ended up sending it back to the seller and then the seller re sent it second day delivery after checking it out for damage it never got damaged like that though which was surprising

2 Likes

@Scottie order a case with it that way it is protected by the case also i will not purchase an instrument without a good hard case ever again because the shipping companies do not care anymore about giving quality service and the insurances they sell people is a joke they never pay out its called plausible deniability.

2 Likes

@Don_Smith I agree it could have been in even worse shape! The boxes were so thin and soft that I felt like I could have pushed my thumb through without much effort.

The Twanger from the General Store was in a hard case, but even the cardboard box was very sturdy. It arrived in perfect condition.

2 Likes

You won’t go wrong with an instrument from the General Store! Make sure you select the extra “River Express Shipping” option at checkout. :laughing:

6 Likes

Great advice and thank you all for the endorsements! I do have 1 Loar 310 left right now, down from 4 just three days ago.

2 Likes

Update: Well, I bought the Loar. And a strap. Looking forward to starting my lessons. :slightly_smiling_face: Going back to square one.

8 Likes

Another update: Just this moment saw the mandolin post with Charlie Bell. Two things: a) this will be my very first ever mandolin lesson once my mandolin arrives, and b) Charlie Bell has already demonstrated her propensity to upstage her daddy, and will no doubt continue to do so with greater aplomb in the future. :wink:

7 Likes

Aplomb, what a great word! Thanks!

3 Likes

I think that was that Gap Band song… “You dropped aplomb on me.”

4 Likes

I wish ya all would quit using those sophisticated words LOL

2 Likes

Never use a daedal word when a diminutive one will suffice.

4 Likes

@Michael_Mark

there ya all go again pretty soon I am going to have to dig out my dictionary just to read these post LOL

3 Likes

@Scottie,

I am very behind on reading the forum and was just so curious about how you like your Mando after some months of practice?

Here’s hoping you are enjoying your instrument and the fine service from Banjo Ben’s store. I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again. In fact, I’d be hard-pressed to go anywhere else! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes