Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lonesome Road Blues (finally!)

So, when I filmed this the other day, it took me a few takes to get it as clean as I wanted, and I ended up with the final two takes, one was slightly better musically (timing) but the other one trumped it for facial expression, and I was gonna post both, but the internet at the hotel we stayed at (though it was filmed at home) was slower than expected, so I didn’t get around to it. Anyway, I’ve just uploaded the better musically one, it’s super fun, I’m loving playing this song.

15 Likes

Awesome pal… not sure about the facial expression though…lol

2 Likes

Dude!

So, the other one had more facial expressions then?

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: You make me want to learn it even more now…

4 Likes

Awesome job!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! @MissMaggie, the other one didn’t necessarily have more, but I feel like my expressions were more fitting with the music, and looked both funnier and more natural. In the take posted, I was kind of trying to copy what I had done but not very successfully

1 Like

Good Job Gunnar

1 Like

@Dragonslayer,

You know from recent posts… I am already a personal fan.

My young Man (no offense, I am over that 50 mark), you are just getting so darned good!

Inspirational, even. Way to go!

A spirited Yee-Haw almost involuntarily escaped from my trapper.

Brilliant

1 Like

Thanks y’all!

I take no offense at almost anything. And I don’t mind being called young, cuz I am. Proceed as usual :grin:

1 Like

Awesome! Wow you are really good! Man, if only I could reach that level on guitar…

2 Likes

Thanks! You definitely can reach that level on guitar, you just have to put in the time practicing! As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day…

1 Like

Isn’t there some kind of general belief that it takes 1,000 hours or practice to gain a level of proficiency in a given instrument?

I think it has been stated elsewhere here in the forum.

Makes me wonder why I feel I am about 2,000 hours over that and still cannot get through a tab cleanly and mistake-free… on either Mando or Banjo. :smirk:

1 Like

That’s an old wives tale. For some people, it can be done with very little time and energy, for others it’s an uphill slog. The former more often than the latter. But more time isn’t always better, and playing through a tune perfectly is missing the point. Effective practice is necessary (this has been discussed before). If you make a mistake, do it again and no one will know. If you make two mistakes, do it again and it’s jazz :joy::joy:

2 Likes

You will; I have no doubt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, that was really Good… how long have you been playing?

3 Likes

Thanks Garry! And welcome to the forum! I’ve been playing banjo for just over two years now (I think that’s right…) but I played guitar for a year before that

1 Like

Hi Gary, haven’t seen you around before, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic! As always, you’re so casual.

1 Like

Thats Great… in just a couple of years, that’s way I joined up… I’ve been playing guitar since I was 14, almost 50 years now. I always enjoyed the sound of banjo, and now that I’m retired from the Sheriff’s Dept. I thought I’d give it a whirl … I purchased a Morgan Monroe banjo about 5 yrs. ago, just noodling around, but now that I have more time on my hands, I gonna get more serious and start from the very beginning , with Ben and his crew…

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome Miss Maggie… I joined up a few months back after retiring from the Sheriff’s Dept. and started scouting through the different areas; I’ve been playing guitar for about 50 yrs., and though I’d give the banjo a whirl… I figure I can learn much better with Ben and his crew than out of a book on my own…

4 Likes