Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Listening Contest & poll

wow, that is a hard question Mike. I like them all for different reasons.

The Hatfield and R & T have similar sounds and are set up very similar. I would use these in a louder jam situation as they mow down a guitar garden a bit better I think. I think the Hatfield will end up being the better of the two in years to come as it is new and keeps getting better. The R&T has been rode hard and bet on for 20 years and has the marks and wear to prove it. So, if the weather is nice it’s the Hatfield and if it’s a bit damp, rough crowd, might rain, etc. I’ll use the R&T “party banjo”.

I like the Gibson a lot, and it has an old time sound but it doesn’t have tons of volume. It is great to play when the volume levels are down low, but I need to get the neck adjusted as it is totally flat/straight right now and could play better up the neck.

I think the Yates arch-top is probably the best sounding for recording or playing over a sound system. It mics great and just has that certain something extra to the tone, and it has probably the coolest tones up the neck when played right.

So… if the waves are making lots of noise - Hatfield
If the sand is blowing around or it rains a lot - Rich & Taylor
If it is quiet, beautiful, perfect weather, maybe the Gibson
If it is nice weather wise, but with a bit of wind and wave noise to play over - Yates

hmmm…Had to think more than what I figured on when I started this post :laughing:

Well, that’s a good answer. That means every one of them has their purpose.

I like the tone of #2. It has a nice mellow sound but still gets that punch that’s unique to a banjo. I have no idea on the models so here’s a complete guess:

#1 Gibson
#2 Rich & Taylor
#3 Hatfield
#4 Yates

better late than never …no guesses just an opinion on the best tone…#3

Like #4 myself.