Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Let Me Tell You About Jesus— One Day Project

The idea here was to record something in one day that sounded like a band complete with vocals. Three things I learned while doing this:

1. Mandolin in B Flat is not my strong suit.
  2. Neither is singing.
  3. It pays to work on something for a longer time than a few hours.
14 Likes

Not bad at all! :+1:
You might want to take a lesson from the bluegrass pros, though.
You do the picking and singing and hire a studio engineer to do the rest. :wink:

6 Likes

Your ‘not so strong suit’ key of Bb is better than my best attempt in Bb! Great job! I’ve been trying (key word is trying!) to work in B and Bb lately… I know exactly what you mean!!

7 Likes

Is all done by you alone?? Oh wow, very nice!

4 Likes

Keep it going! This is great, and one of the best things you can do to make yourself better!

7 Likes

I’ll second what Ben wrote.

It’s a great way to push yourself!

3 Likes

Great job! Keep singing, you’ll get there. How many tracks was that in total, and what were they? You’re on the road to being a phenomenal harmonizer.

Great ear!

4 Likes

3 vocal tracks— lead, tenor, and baritone, and 3 instrument tracks— banjo, guitar, and mandolin. The lead and tenor tracks were both one take; the baritone took a few tries.

7 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to your next project.

4 Likes

Nice work! I enjoyed the listen and am impressed that you did the whole thing.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s impressive…and quite a challenge! Thanks for sharing this, and what an wonderful experience this must have been to see come together. :grinning:

4 Likes

That was awesome! Really enjoyed it!
I agree with Simone, your mandolin Bb is way better than I can do!

4 Likes

Nice work @Michael_Mark! Playing under recording isn’t easy! If I had to give a suggestion, I would say add some bass - not sure if you play bass, but I think it’d add a lot. But either way, good work!

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I did think about adding a bass track, but since I don’t own a bass, I’d have to use the GarageBand virtual one, which sort of seems like a pain. I might try it next time and see, though.

2 Likes

Where is Henry? He can help with that on the bass thing! :wink:

I can always cut a bass track for you also, if you ever need one. :wink:

3 Likes

Great job!! I have yet to sing in any recording projects.
It all sounded great, I would lose the vibrato in the vocals though. Sounds too refined for bluegrass, and too reverb-y (unless it was just reverb)

3 Likes