Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lesson Request: Sally Goodin'

I know Sally Goodin’ is more of a “fiddle solo” fiddle tune but it’s so fun sounding song. I would love to get a Banjo Ben lesson on this tune on mandolin.

1 Like

Hi @Stuart.Gamble I have a feeling it is still in copyright.

It’s a traditional, recorded in 1922 by Eck Robertson:

4 Likes

well spotted @Michael_Mark

1 Like

My personal fav. version…

4 Likes

My best attempt from three years back.

4 Likes

Very nice Archie!! Did you have a tab for that good Sir?

1 Like

@Archie’s video says that the arrangement was based on Sean Ray’s Session Book TABs, but there’s also one in Earl’s book.

2 Likes

Ahhh, readin. That scoolin does you boys pretty good, don’t it.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

1 Like

Yes the Solo TAB came from Sean Ray’s Session Book ( you can buy individual TABs direct from Sean at https://seanray.com. His site is a great resource for Scruggs Style, JD Crowe and Jerry Garcia arrangements I think the Back Up was a mish mash from John Lawless (Acu Tab ) DVD and Casey Henry Megan Lynch Murphy Method Banjo Back Up for Fiddle tunes. Basically a bunch of fiddle backup licks that I cobbled together.

Here is Sean pickin Sally Goodin. You will immediately note how much better he is than me.

1 Like

Copy, thank you!!

I’m hoping for a lesson ATLEAST one skill level down from this version @Grinnin. And the keyword is ATLEAST :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my favourite Marteka Lake - My wish is that @BanjoBen will invite her to the cabin one day to teach this solo and some of her backup skills. She is just an amazing banjo player.

4 Likes

I complete agree! She’s very skilled, but seems to have disappeared from the music scene. I have not seen any new videos in a long time.

1 Like

Yes I had made that same observation but I am thinking she may be focusing on school work. She is of an age when she could be studying for important exams. Her schedule on her website indicates she is active. But due to Covid have had to cancel at least one event and numbers attending have been low.

Next two events on her schedule are

September 18-- Clay Golden Delicious Festival–Clay, WV–2 p.m.
October 1–CF Benefit–Jerrys Run Summer Theater-- Jerry Run, WV 7 p.m.

This could be a good time for @BanjoBen to pop the question. If she is not too busy she’ll be more incline to make the trip. I think it would also be great for her to be mixing with top musicians in Nashville. If that is her ambition. Maybe even a guest spot on the Grand O’ Opry could be arranged. What do you think @BanjoBen would that be possible?

I think it was on Instagram I noticed she got married, maybe a year ago, and her husband is musical and stage worthy. Details are foggy in my brain on the matter a bit.
I learned this up-the-neck Earl’s book and didn’t tackle down-the-neck until 22 years later when I found Sean’s video and purchased his book.
Marteka transitions from down to up so seamlessly it’s amazing.

1 Like