Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lesson Idea: Portable (licks-based) Soloing

I have 2 well-intended suggestions…

1. Create a Lessons Suggestions Category: This might be helpful for all. Those who like a lesson idea can add a “like” to endorse support… and Ben may use this category for ideas…even as all his lessons are so thoroughly and professionally crafted.

I realize that General chit chat is a catch-all that doesn’t require a separate category - but just thought having the separate category makes things easier.

1. There are so many good tools for supporting soloing… but I had an idea.

I had heard that the classic Kansas song: “Carry On Wayward Son” was crafted from a mash-up of Licks strung together - literally.

My thought was to consider, in a much smaller context, couldn’t this approach be done to craft a solo?

In other words, take 2-3 licks to string together to make a workable solo?

Has anyone done this? Sure, accomplished soloists can improvise “on the spot”… so maybe this is for the beginner-intermediate player who wants to have a “portable” solo for a particular song (or songs) if the chord progression is the same.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I believe you can.

If I’m not mistaken, I think Ben addresses similar thing in Guitar Rhythm walk lesson where you use the walk instead of playing the chord if it lasted only 1/2 measure and that this concept could be extended to even for chords lasting for more than 1/2 measure where simply replace the rhythm with walks, even all through the song.
Exercises & I’ll Fly Away - Using Scale to Create Rhythm Walks - Guitar ★ Banjo Ben Clark ★ This lesson was kind of cool!

I’m not sure what the equivalent lesson for Mandolin.

1 Like