Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Left hand fingering guitar question

My buddy/guitar teacher told me the other day about something that was standard technique, and I’d like to run it by y’all to see if there’s any BB video on this to help me. I hope I can explain this right . . .

Let’s say we’re doing scales (though I guess it’s supposed to apply to any picking), say the open G scale. When we get to the B string from either direction, we have the 1 finger playing the first fret and the 3 finger playing the third fret. He says that while going up the scale, after you play the first fret, the 1 finger stays on the first fret until you’ve played the third fret . That part’s not so hard. But going back down the scale, you also want your 1 finger on the first fret before you play the third fret, which basically means the 1 and 3 fingers have to arrive on their respective frets at about the same time - and damn, that’s hard to do!

And he says it’s the same for anytime multiple fingers are playing on the same string: the one closest to the tuners stays on after it’s struck, until you pick the one closer to the bridge; and that if you’re picking the one closest to the bridge first, the one closest to the tuners needs to already be on its string and pressed down, and that left hand fingering in this fashion makes your picking sound a lot smoother.

I hope I explained this right. This stuff is complicated (and a little tedious) to articulate!

Does Banjo Ben speak to this technique in any of the videos?

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Check out his lesson for God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen. He stresses that concept alot on that lesson. I recently learned his version of that song and it was definitely a stepping stone in my playing.

1 Like

Hmmm, I guess I’m not understanding: if this is a universal and critical part of left-hand fingering, it seems like it would merit a lesson all its own, or be an important part of the more fundamental picking lessons, like doing scales, for instance. Does everyone do this all the time?

1 Like

It’s not necessarily that your fingers HAVE to be planted at the exact same time on the descending scale. It’s just that you’re likely to produce a cleaner sound if the 1 is already planted before the 3 is removed. You could plant the 3 first followed by the 1 as long as the 1 is in place before the 3 is lifted.

Yes, it’s a difficult thing to master, but it’s well worth the time. Descending scales are way tougher to play cleanly than ascending. This little trick is designed to help that.

5 Likes

Mark is right on the money…the explanation in the lesson is exaggerated iIMO

2 Likes

Good to know. :+1:

1 Like