Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Left Hand Fingering- Banjo

On some of the more intricate licks, it is difficult to catch the left hand fingering sequences. I.E. measure 45 & 46 in your lesson for “Will The Circle Be Unbroken”. I HAVE slowed down the video to 1/2 speed and that DOES help a little. Is there any way you could include the left hand fingering sequence on JUST the difficult licks like that?

1 Like

HI David
Did you try watching the “add licks slow” video? (& slow it down more)

Those measures are at about 1:50

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/will-the-circle-be-unbroken-build-a-break-banjo-advanced/video/add-licks-slow

3 Likes

THANKS, I’ll try that

3 Likes

OMG I didn’t even look that far. My BAD. Thanks again

4 Likes

Hope it helps…good luck! killer lick

2 Likes

Hi David, Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. You do realise that is one of Ben’s advanced lessons. I too struggled to nail this one so take heart in the knowledge your not alone.

Have you looked at the TAB? I always find looking at the TAB helps me figure out what LH fingers to use if the video explanation /demonstration is a bit fuzzy.

Measures 45 and 46 are pretty much standard Scruggs licks.

LH Index finger goes on the first string 2nd fret followed by a 3-2 pull off.

The way Ben does this PO is he uses his middle finger to fret the 3rd string at the second fret and his ring finger to PO from 3 to 2.

If you back up the video to measure 40 he explains this PO in some detail and also says you can use your index finger to fret the 3rd string at the second fret and PO from 3 to 2 using you middle finger.

Measure 46 is a simple hammer-on to the 4th string with the middle finger.

What may be giving you grief ( I certainly struggled with this) is the proceeding measure 44. With that series of hammer - ons make sure you use your middle finger to do the HO then your ring finger to fret the 3rd string at the 5th fret before moving it to catch the 2nd string at the 4th fret that will set you up nicely to fret the 1st string 2nd fret with the index finger at the start of measure 45.

On a final note (pun intended) take your time, think it thru, and work out where your going to plant those fingers and eventually you will get it. Good Luck

3 Likes