Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Learning multiple instruments at once

Anyone here learning multiple instruments at once? If so, do you have a system for how much you practice each instrument?

I’m learning the banjo and guitar from scratch and am “re-learning” the mandolin since I seemed to miss a lot the first time around many years ago. I was a bit resistant to adding in a 3rd instrument, but I have noticed that spending time on my mandolin actually seems to be helping me on the guitar, which is the instrument I struggle with the most.

Thank you so much, Ben, for the great beginner learning lessons. And it has been a great way to stay connected to my dad, who lives four hours away. He’s really tickled that one of the kids is finally getting back into music and bluegrass. He sends me clips of what he’s working on and I send him mine. Definitely treasuring this time.

4 Likes

Yup 5 String Banjo, Tenor Banjo and Ukulele Banjo.

Celtic Tenor Banjo has the same tuning as a mandolin.

3 Likes

Took organ lessons as a kid and hated it. Started on Bass in 1986 because a friend played guitar and needed a bass player. Around 1996, I started six string guitar. Played classic rock, blues and then jazz. A neighbor played guitar and wanted to jam but we didn’t know any of the same songs. He played all country. I started listening to country and then Bluegrass and around 2000, started learning banjo. I fell in love with banjo and it became my primary instrument. I quit playing for a long while due to work and family and just got serious again last year. A few months ago I dove into mandolin.
I try to play my banjo at least an hour every day. I will do some of the Banjo Ben lessons, play through songs I already know, try to improvise and play without tab using Jamtrainer app. In the evening, before bed, I play around with the mandolin with a focus of just having fun. If I miss a day playing mandolin, I don’t care too much. I just try to keep it fun and look at it as an extra skill. Unfortunately, I feel guilty if I miss a banjo practice for some reason. I still have fun with it, but take it more serious.
Forgot to mention that I tried the Tenor Sax and the violin, but my wife made it clear that she would end my existence if I continued with them because I was really bad.

4 Likes

@colliegal2000 that’s great to hear! I know we’ve discussed this at times on this forum and I’ve probably said more there, but short version is that I encourage it and I think it’s fine to let your own interests guide the amount of time spent on each. Your last paragraph about your dad is the good stuff, so whatever causes more of that to happen, do it.

3 Likes