Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms Blues

I have been working on Leaning on the Everlasting Arms for a few evenings now. For some reason, I have been having a more difficult time getting this down. Anybody else have this issue?

1 Like

Hi Ben, Welcome to the forum. I have not worked on this lesson but I had a quick peek. It certainly has a lot of slides and pulloffs in the solo and if your new to the banjo this may seem challenging but it is an excellent arrangement to help you improve your playing skills. I would encourage you to take it real slow, pay particular attention to the how BanjoBen frets the strings and works those slides and pulloffs. Also pay close attention to his picking hand. Some lessons can take a while to nail things. Don’t let yourself get frustrated, remember that difficult lessons are helping you to develop and improve your overall playing skills.

2 Likes

Keep your head up! A video submission would really help me see what might be tripping you up.

1 Like

This is a fun one Birdog that I jump back to every now and then. Are you practicing the verse and chorus together? I found practicing just the verse alone was much easier than trying to learn both at one time. Good luck, I love that song.
Butch B.

1 Like

I am practicing both together. Kinda.
I normally start working my way through a new song measure by measure and keep starting back at the beginning each time around. By the time I get to the end… I have got it down pretty good. Things have progressed nicely now as much as can be expected from a fellow that has spent alot more time in the deer woods over the last couple weeks and not enough time with the banjo… and the guitar… poor thing ain’t gonna remember who I am. Deer season ends on Feb. 10th.
Plenty of time to get caught up then.

1 Like

The melodic section (measures 1-24 if I remember correctly) was causing the most misery. My fingers were not happy about that for some reason. They finally started cooperating… but it took a whole lot longer than I wanted.
It really is a great version of that song.

1 Like