Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Lane Fisher from Bedford, Pennsylvania

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I don’t recall exactly a peak moment when it stopped being a forced thing and I started actually wanting to play. I think that would probably be when I started playing fiddle and playing with my dad and the family jam. Since then I have collected several more instruments, and enjoy picking even more.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I started playing a home piano course almost before I can remember and then took two years of actual piano lessons and made many times more progress in those two years than I did in the 4-5 years prior, studying on my own. I sometime later, I began teaching my self bass, violin, guitar, and banjo. My motivation to play would be my musical extended family on my dad’s side and also this great community here.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I really like Ben’s guitar and mandolin duets, as well as the advanced Build-a-Break lessons. These help a lot when I am coming up with my own breaks.

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal when playing is mainly to have fun and enjoy making music with other musicians.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I really enjoy classical works as well as some choral music and Southern Gospel, other than bluegrass of course.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
There are so many things to do with extra time! I would record more music, hunt more, more outdoor cooking, in a nutshell, just live more.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
A little over a year now.

What do you do for a living?
I am blessed to have a job at our family bulk food/grocery store.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
Right now, I believe a dream is actually penciled in for 2020 when my family (I have 10 siblings) is planning to take a trip to the west coast, Lord willing.

Lane%202

11 Likes

10 siblings!? Wow! You guys could just about start your own big band. XD

Congrats on being GPotW!

1 Like

Congrats on being GPotW! I didn’t know you played so many instruments, that’s cool. So, if you have ten siblings, there’s eleven of you total right? I can’t count that high, even with my shoes off! Which number are you? (Birth order)

1 Like

Grats Lane! Hope the trip works out for you and your family!

1 Like

Congrats Lane, and welcome aboard. Love the picture of the mountains behind you.

1 Like

Hi Lane

Congrats on being selected as this week Gold Pick Member of the Week. I too am from a large family, in my case I am one of twelve. 6 brothers and 5 sisters. 3 brothers and 1 sister have passed away. 1 brother and 1 sister live in Australia and the rest are here in Scotland. Alas I am the only one with an interest in music.

1 Like

Congrats Lane,

It is so fortunate that you started at such a young age… whether pushed or no, you can enjoy the craft for years to come.

Those of us “seasoned” in life but have started relatively recently to play… we value the time you have in front of you.

Well, better late to the party than not showing up at all.

Congrats Lane - and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks all for the encouragement! Yes, @Mark_Rocka , actually, my Uncle, several of his boys (my cousins), my dad, another brother,a few friends, and myself played a small Christmas gig that we have been doing for several years now. That is usually a lot of fun.
@Dragonslayer, there are 11 of us, and it can become quite a riot sometimes. :joy::rofl:

We’ve got eight (so far) and we tell people that the circus starts when all of the clowns tumble out of the car!

1 Like

Oh, ha! I didn’t put your real name and “Fisherbro” together. Yeah, you posted a video of you guys playing in church, right?

Congrats Lane, wonderful to hear your story, thanks for sharing. Congrats on the license as well!
You’ve been blessed with your musical family!

1 Like

I think that must have been someone else, because it wasn’t me.

OK. Thought I made a connection there. Sorry.

I think there are a few clips floating around from Christmas. I should go find them.

Oh, and I am the oldest.

1 Like

@Fisherbro, congrats on being GPotW! Thanks for sharing your story, and being part of what makes this forum great. Wishing you all the best, and glad to hear of your foundational studies in piano…this experience will serve you well forever.

Wow congrats! And I love your family store, I shop there whenever I am in Bedford! Maybe I’ll catch you in May when I go to Friendship village for their Bluegrass Gospel weekend!

That would be awesome! Please do.