Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ken Kozol from Ringgold, GA!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Growing up around country and bluegrass music.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
On and off about 35 years. I love to write and music is my motivation to communicate how I see and feel.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
All of his lessons are great. My first view of his lesson on cross picking got me started.

What’s your goal when playing?
To have as much fun as possible and not take things too seriously.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I love bluegrass as well as several styles of the blues. I love playing the banjo, guitar and dobro. The earlier bluegrass was my biggest inspiration but I love all types of music.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
since 2011

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I move around on techniques. I still want to master claw hammer.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Alison Krauss because she’s Alison Krauss. LOL

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I play a Huber banjo a Flatiron mandolin a Guernsey dobro and a Mossman guitar.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I already have more than i deserve.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Write music

Anything else you’d like to add?
Ben has been a major inspiration and role model for me.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I think i searched for him after seeing him perform.

Thanks for letting us feature you Ken!

15 Likes

What a great interview–Ken is a talented guy!

1 Like

Nice bio! Congrats on being gold pick member of the week! From a fellow Georgian bluegrasser :smiley:

6 Likes

That was a great interveiw man!! Loved it. Love the part about not taking things too seriously.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the truth. I love the Alan Munde lesson where he admits to Ben that “we were all bad” at one point.

1 Like

Welcome Ken! Great bio, those are some fine instruments you’ve got!! Hope to see you around the forum!

2 Likes

Ken, congrats on be the gpotw! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself, and for being part of the forum. Although I live in SC now, I’m a GA boy myself as well. Wishing you all the best in your musical endeavors!

2 Likes

Good interview Ken! I love Allison Krauss as well, we had tickets to see her last spring in Macon but COVID cancelled it all. I hope to see her one day.

She is a great performer and an awesome person. Hope you get the chance to see her.

1 Like

hey man great to see you here!

Right there with you, sir! I love the clawhammer sound. Congrats on Gold Picker of the Week; I really enjoyed reading your responses. For me, next stop, looking around the forum, hoping to see a video of you playing dobro. Amazing instrument.

Bill Phillips

2 Likes

Bill,
Thanks for your comments! Here is a video i did a few years back with some Dobro. Hope you enjoy!
Stay safe my friend.

Ken-

11 Likes

@uvman
Hey Ken,
I sure did enjoy! What a beautiful song. I saw you have some tracks on iTunes. I’ll be purchasing them.
Thanks so much for sharing this.

Bill

2 Likes

That’s beautiful!!