Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Just being picky

Thanks Larry,
That’s very helpful. I have been trying to work up to “recorded” speeds (or Ben speed) and in light of what you said, I think that’s probably not necessary. I think my approach is still good in that I need to get more smooth, but it’s easier to target that at 180 to 200 as opposed to 220 to 240.
Thanks again!

I got nothing against going fast, mind you. It’s just that I’m not finding it as useful to me right now. I guess it depends on what your goals are. I fit into my jam if better by knowing a lot of songs reasonably well, rather than a few songs at top speed. If I were performing on stage, or with a regular band, I’d probably have a different attitude.

— Begin quote from "ldpayton"

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

— End quote

A shift in goals is what I got from your previous post. With my fingerstyle stuff, it was mostly solo. I could go for as much or little speed as I thought fit. When I started flatpicking, I didn’t have a specific goal. I was just doing it and enjoying it. As I started looking for others to play with, I did assume that speed would be good for BG jams, but based on your post, I think I probably over-estimated the typical BG jam speeds. Knowing that allows me to set my goals a little nearer.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Here’s an update… crossing strings is getting better. As expected, playing cleaner and smoother at slower speeds has come along. Also, as I am playing things at more usable speeds, the good habits seem to be transferring over.

I think what I had been doing in the past was initially playing a song and working on technique enough to get it memorized. Once the song was memorized, I was simply playing it faster and faster. As I played faster, sloppiness crept in. As I continued trying to play it faster, the sloppiness got ingrained, so when I slowed down, I was often making the same mistakes. What I have found is that once I get past a certain speed, I can’t think about what I am doing. I think in the past I have been spending far too much time practicing at speeds that my brain can’t keep up. I am now spending most of my time practicing at speeds slow enough for my brain to stay engaged. If I am working on my right hand, that is considerably slower than working on my left hand. I haven’t tried playing against my previous max speeds to compare, but it’s comparing apples and oranges. What I was doing before was playing at a speed where a reasonable expectation was that I would not get through cleanly. I kept repeating it thinking that it would get better. Sometimes it did, but it was very slow progress, and in the process I was getting muscle memory for playing bad. Now I am spending the vast majority of my practice time playing at speeds where the reasonable expectation is for playing cleanly.

It’s just the start of the journey, but so far, so good. Thanks for the help.

Two great songs to work on for crossing strings against the grain are Tony Rice’s version of “On Top of The World” and an old fiddle tune I know that I am not sure on the name of. I’ll try to get a tab or video of it as soon as I get my guitar back home (should be within a week).

OK, I broke down and figured it out on my 5-string.

I still can’t remember the name of it but it is great practice and a pretty tune to boot.

I can’t load it in either .tef or pdf though. hmmm frustrating. Any ideas anyone?

If all else fails, anyone who would like the tab can PM me with their email and I will reply with the tab.

— Begin quote from "fiddlewood"

I can’t load it in either .tef or pdf though.

— End quote

Mike’s got a request in to Ben to allow .tef, .pdf and .mp3 uploads, but for now the forum can’t handle those files. Uploadable files include .jpg and .zip files, so I’ve been converting .pdf files to .jpg, and compressing the .tef files into .zip files before uploading. I’m a PC person, though, so I have no idea how to convert the files on a Mac.

OK Trying again
[attachment=0]Fiddle Tune (unknown).jpg[/attachment]

maybe this will work better

[attachment=0]Fiddle Tune (unknown).tef[/attachment]…

chords

G / G / D / D / G / G / Em / D G /

B PART

D / D / G / G / A / A / D / D /

Thanks Dave!
I haven’t had a chance to work on it, but it certainly crosses the strings. It looks almost like a classical melody.

Your Welcome Mike. Have fun!

I noticed that Tony Rice uses his thumb by moving the thumb to actually pick I have noticed I do that also . it don’t do as well as it does for Tony but it is a thought just watch one of his lessons on you tube and you can see what he does with his thumb it looks weird but I do it and you all might do it as well but never noticed it .sort of pulling the thumb back toward your wrist by using the joint it self. I also move all over and have what I call a float when I have to thingy . I use a rest I float and pinky some times it depends a lot on what I am playing, a certain tune or song . I am by no means a real versed player but I do some that I am asked to play again . maybe they did not believe it the first time that someone could play that bad LOL . I still consider myself a beginner.

I use the last joint of my right thumb a little, too, but not nearly as much as Tony does. I don’t think my thumb could do that.

I bet Tony used to do thumb push ups :laughing: … he’s some power in that right thumb.

I think I am backing off going to fast I think 280 330 for a tune is way to fast call me slow what ever you want but I do believe 160 is my limit. I guess it is like the Olympics with guitars and mandolins but I am in to making music and I like the slower tunes,. Never really played to compete and I am way to old now. We all have our limits and I recognize mine , I will never be a fast picker . I have heard tunes slowed down and speeded up I tend to like the slower ones. Of course that is my preference and I sure like to hear and I do appreciate the articulation but slow is ok with me.

I am in the same boat welder. I’ll never be a speed demon, but I still like making music.

From what I have heard you play, you a very good player. I am sort hacking my way through it but manage to get a good one every now and again . I do like fast picking but that is if I am not doing it LOL it takes energy and right now I have none .energy that is . I used to play nothing but 60’s music surf and some Motown Percy sludge oops sledge. The ballads back then were very plentiful and most could be played with the 1.4.5 and a relative minor . and the thing is some were played with just one chord ,Keep on Chugling G chord was all it had with J. Fogerty . I also used to do a wild back up to “Big train” I will never quit but I may slow down even more though . 70 is not a good age to learn bluegrass.
Loved Berry and Mack and also the ventures . Lawrence welk not so much .

Welder, I will be ecstatic if I am playing anywhere near as well as you when I am your age. I think you do great.

Fast is a relative term, isn’t it? I like the energy generated when I’m playing at the upper end of my capabilities, but it wouldn’t be considered fast for a lot of pickers. And when I’m listening rather than playing, I’m way less focused on speed. Too many fast songs in a row actually causes me to lose interest.