Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Just a picture of my banjo

I’m a large format photographer, and was testing some new collodion. Needed a subject and my banjo seemed like the perfect volunteer. She sits still and doesn’t complain.

Made with a 150 year old photographic process - wet plate collodion, on an aluminum plate.

21 Likes

I can’t think of a better subject for that process. She’s very photogenic. :blush:

8 Likes

Cool! I had a B&W darkroom back in the day and in some cases photographing, processing, and prints with a nice wide format Mamiya (borrowed, of course). You’ve done a beautiful job on this one, and what an interesting thing to do! Thanks for sharing and bringing back some old memories.

6 Likes

Smoking hot body, what a beauty :heartbeat:

3 Likes

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Did you burn it in or is that the ambient light and background?

4 Likes

12,000 watt seconds of power. I have three Speedotron packs. Collodion is 0.5 - 0.75 ISO, so it takes a LOT of light. Many of the outdoors photos are over 4 seconds, depending on aperture. I can shoot wide open with my f4.5 Heliar, at 1/2 second, but the depth of field is razor thin. Depends on what looks you’re going for.

6 Likes

That is fascinating stuff. 0.5 ISO… wow. Again, well done!!!

1 Like

Thank you kindly! I’m going to try to get it on glass so I can print it in platinum. I’ll share if I’m successful.

1 Like

That is incredible.

2 Likes