Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Just a little note for learning etiquette

I don’t want to sound like a KIA, because I’m not and I don’t, but watching a video on here with Mr. Munde trying to teach a group, i noticed alot of this going on. When in an instructional environment, please try to refrain from noodling around on your instrument, it is very distracting and frustrating for the instructor… TIA

8 Likes

The tricky part is when the instructor says “And you can get this sound by doing this…” Naturally, you almost unconsciously want to try it out & you become oblivious to where you are.
We probably shouldn’t be chewing gum in church, either.

I don’t even know what a KIA is, but you make a great point Jamie. I have done group lessons and I generally have to ask folks to not play except when we are supposed to play. If you are playing, you aren’t listening to what is being discussed and it is a distraction to everyone else in the class including the teacher. Thanks for bringing this up!

2 Likes

“Know It All” maybe?

2 Likes

I totally agree with all you say Jamie. Respect for the teacher and fellow students. There is nothing worse than others talking or making distracting noises when the teacher is talking,

P.S. An added thought. I’ll also hate students who constantly interrupt the teacher with questions whilst he/she is instructing/talking. It’s fine to ask for clarification when something the teacher has said that is not understood. But questions should be left till the teacher has finished talking and invites students for their submissions.

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, I agree @bassguide. I offer banjo mutes in all the banjo swag bags at camps, hoping folks will get the point, lol.

4 Likes

Just tell them to “Shut Up” @BanjoBen gif

2 Likes

That’s what that was for?!? I was usin it to pin may hair back at the lunch breaks.

4 Likes

I didn’t know a BANJO MUTE existed until I attended camp. Before Ben included them with the bag I purchased one for my wife. When I gave it to her she didn’t think it was a thoughtful gift. When I demonstrated how the mute worked she changed her tune.

3 Likes

Really? Is she like my wife - One that talks too much. popcorn

3 Likes

I had to read that one twice, after coffee. :roll_eyes: I guess I’m a little slow this morning. Seriously, I think a banjo mute, applied properly to the banjo bridge, can foster a better relationship with those don’t appreciate the unique sound of the banjo.

2 Likes

My wife learned to tough it out, She now sleeps through my playing. banjo I am now looking for some comfy ear plugs so I cant hear her snoring gif

3 Likes

Good one neighbor! My band practices near you, just off Friendship Rd.