Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Joining the club!

I finally got a mandolin!!! I’ve been saving my pennies, working two jobs, and finally got enough to buy one! I got a Kentucky km150 from @BanjoBen’s general store with a bunch of accessories. I ordered it Monday night, and it got here Thursday afternoon. That’s pretty fast! Sorry I don’t have any pictures of it, having some trouble with my phone memory right now. Been playing nonstop for hours, and thought I should tell y’all about it. You’ll be seeing a lot more of me in the mandolin side of the forum now!

9 Likes

welcome to the party ive just got one as well…

2 Likes

Congrats! I’m looking forward to seeing your first mandolin Video share! :sunglasses:

Hi Gunnar, Real pleased to hear you got yourself a nice mandolin. Look forward to seeing some videos.

1 Like

Excellent. Happy for you Gunnar. Now get busy; hope to see some new videos from you. :smiley:

Given it has eight strings, how does the action feel? Harder to press strings than a six string guitar, or easier?

Thanks, y’all! I’ll try to get some video up pretty soon. @Treblemaker the action feels great, but hammer ons and pull offs are quite difficult. my fingers also are quite stiff today from playing so much yesterday. I also got some dunlop prime tones which I absolutely love!

1 Like

I’m really happy for you @Dragonslayer! I can tell you’re really excited about your new Mandolin :pray:
I definitely love the General Store as well

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing some videos!

1 Like

Me 2! :slight_smile:

Mark/Guys, do you have suggestion for guitar strings? I’m thinking of picking from Ben’s store using my credit as long as it is worth shipping. I have fender acoustic/electric guitar.

1 Like

I usually use Elixor Nanowebs, which I don’t think Ben carries any more (they weren’t there the last time I checked.)

I mainly use them because they last so long and I hate changing strings. I wouldn’t say they’re the BEST sounding, but they’re good enough for who they’re for. :wink:

2 Likes

For guitar strings , I always find myself coming back to the EJ17 from the D’Addario brand. I actually just slapped on some EXP17 , which are the coated version of the EJ17 that I got from the General Store.
Guitar strings are more of a personal choice , but if you haven’t checked out the EJ17’s , then I definitely recommend you give them a try… at least once .

I also forgot to mention that the EJ17s are medium gauge strings .

2 Likes

I recommend the EJ17…affordable and trust: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/daddario-ej17-phosphor-bronze-guitar-strings-medium-13-56

I do have the Elixirs as well: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/elixir-phosphor-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings

2 Likes

@Mark_Rocka, @raymondbyron66 and @BanjoBen, thanks for your suggestions. I’m lazy as well to change strings as this is the first time I’m changing after I bought this guitar some 5 years ago. I’m going to go with the Elixirs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about posting an “early” or,relatively unrehearsed video, and then a polished version so we can enjoy your progress? ;-). Anyway, looking forward to hearing you!

1 Like

@jmonickaraj1 nice choice : )

1 Like

Elixer Nanowebs. Expensive, and worth every penny. One point of disagreement. I think they sound the best also.

1 Like

Well dang! When did you get those? I’ve looked in the store and never saw them. Didn’t look hard enough I guess.

1 Like

Treble, if they sound best, nothing like it. But otherwise I do not mind a little bit compromise on the sound as/when they are made to go easy on the fingers.

I’ll try to soon, but right now my phone camera has no more space, and my dropbox account is full. Once I fix those, I’ll upload some video

1 Like