Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

John Henry - Playing with others

John Henry - What is the jam etiquette when playing this tune with others, Do you.

1, Play Low Break followed immediately with a High Break then pass on.
2. Play Low Break and pass to the next instrument and play High Break next time round.
3. What instrument would normally kick off.

1 Like

John Henry is first & foremost a song…it has singing. Kick-off is usually done by whoever can start the song well (to be decided at the time) and single breaks (unless told otherwise) when given the nod from the vocalist or leader.

In my experience banjo usually starts it out (if there is one) to differing degrees of success.

I have heard far more sessions do a “round” of breaks between the vocal parts rather than multiple breaks by a single instrument on this song…but that’s just my experience.

All that being said, each jam has it’s own character and members. Things change and it’s good to stay on your toes, know what’s acceptable for the group, and above all Listen.

4 Likes

Thanks Dave. I am working on arranging three solo’s for practice with TablEdit @BanjoBen 's two intermediate arr plus one at the top of the neck. I plan on using Ben’s Guitar & Mando to separate the solo’s. My end goal is to take it along to my jam group with the intent of doing it as an instrumental. So thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

4 Likes