Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jim Mills Passes

I really wanted to learn that this was some kind of a hoax, but it seems it is not. How utterly tragic to lose a giant as towering as Jim so young and so suddenly. Who among the living bluegrass banjo players was not immensely moved by Jim’s playing?

Here’s to holding his family, friends, memory and music up to the light. Rest in Peace Jim!

9 Likes

I saw this on Banjo Hangout as well. Any more information or details? Terribly tragic if this is true!

2 Likes

Haven’t seen any official statements. Enough commentary coming in through generally reliably sources on social media to make me think it’s true

At the time of posting this I don’t see any Official Announcement. Just what is on the Banjo Hangout.

He appears to have passed from a heart attack. So sad and too young. :pensive:

1 Like

:cry:

1 Like

He was a big part of my introduction to bluegrass music. During the show Crossroads with Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby, Bruce calls out “Jimmy Mills” kicking off a banjo solo on “The Ways It Is”. At that time, he was the only member of Kentucky Thunder I could name.

3 Likes

He has and always will be my favorite banjo player!

He’s one of them who got me into banjo.

Praying for his family!

4 Likes

Bluegrass Today released an article on their website

https://bluegrasstoday.com/jim-mills-passes/

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing @Stuart.Gamble it is a sad day to be sure

1 Like

Yes I felt like I knew him though I never met him. I always meant to go out and visit him and never did. What a loss to the banjo world.

11 Likes

About 11 or 10 years ago I made an appointment to go and see Jim Mills. I had business in Charlotte so I took the train from there to Durham and an Uber out to his house. I was there pretty much the whole day listening to fascinating stories, looking at all the incredible memorabilia and of course, playing some killer banjos. I left with a 1927 Granada with raised head and two-piece flange. I’ve since traded it…kind of wish I had kept it now. Anyway, Jim Mills was a fine gentleman and a great banjo player.

10 Likes

Sad news. He was way too young. :disappointed_relieved: One of the first banjo players we listened to.

7 Likes

Obviously a huge influence on everyone that plays banjo today, certainly myself included. Will keep his friends and family in prayer :pray:

5 Likes

Well, it’s been a while and I just did my semiannual checkin here on the forum tonight to say - hey everybody. I was instead so saddened to see this news. I was fortunate to visit Jim at his home in NC and spend some time in his basement museum a few years ago, on the hunt for a new old banjo. Jim was a perfect gentleman and regaled me with some tunes, a tour of his museum and wonderful stories about the people he’s worked with and the history of their instruments. He was so generous with his time and his hospitality; he had an infectious joyful appreciation for the banjo and the music, and he made me feel like I was a member of the club. I walked out of there with my 1929 Gibson Mastertone that I bought from a true legend. Oh my, he was only 57. I pray for his family in their time of loss.

10 Likes

Nice to see you back on the Forum @MissMaggie we have all missed you. I recall you sharing your detailed account of your visit with Jim at his home and the excitement you expressed with your new old purchase.

4 Likes

Hey Archie, long time, I hope you are well. Yeah, it looks like mharrison43 had a very similar experience so I’m not exaggerating.

Be well my friend,
Mags

3 Likes

Hi @MissMaggie I am as well as can be following surgery. I just take each day as it comes.

1 Like