Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jim Donaldson from Kitchener, Ontario!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
As far back as I can remember there was lots of music in our house. My father loved music. He played the harmonica. My Hero was Roy Rogers. I wanted to be a cowboy ride a horse and play guitar. I got my first guitar when I was nine. Never got the Horse tho. Dad only knew a few songs but we would play them over and over. My father certainly influenced me. He was always proud when I got the guitar out.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I started on lap steel at 10 years old. Music motivated me to try and learn. I just really enjoyed music.

What’s your goal when playing?
To play with passion and feeling.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Not sure if it’s a technique but there is rarely a morning I don’t pick up one of my instruments and play. I always like to finish practicing with a song or two I know well.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Banjo is my big interest. Mando Fiddle Dobro also. Classic country. And bluegrass is my favourite. Also older rock and blues.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
A few months but had been watching him on u tube. Saw him on u tube while searching for some banjo lessons. Had to find out about this bum da da bum fella ……… what’s he all about. Glad I did.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I have not been on the site long to really pick a fav. I can say I have not found any that I don’t like. I look forward to each new one I look into.

What artist(s) most inspire you? Who are your favorite musical heroes?
So many. But I would have to say Glen Campbell. Marty Stuart Ricky Skaggs are huge influences. One more that would top the list Carl Jackson. For sure.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
That’s a tough one. My answer anyone that wants to play good music. Why because I Luv to play music.

If money were no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
A older Martin D 18.

What do you do for a living?
Retired auto collision repair tech.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
Traveling. Bicycling. Motorcycling and hanging with my wife.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Honestly pick more Music with other music pickers!

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
I am doing it my wife and I travel full time in our RV. We meet lots of great people and see as much as we can. Life is an adventure.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I have been to 3 of Ben’s Cabin Camps and I will be at more. There is always more to learn. The people I have met there really help make the experience over the top. Ben and his team are the real deal and a huge inspiration.

Thanks for letting us feature you Jim!

14 Likes

gif Jim

2 Likes

Jim, congrats on being the featured gold picker! Thanks for sharing a little of your story and being part of the online community here. I agree that there’s nothing quite like being at one of Banjo Ben’s cabin camps, and the wonderful folks who attend make it the best. Happy trails!

3 Likes

Congratulations Jim!! I don’t think we got to speak to each other much at cabin camp a few months ago in Nashville but you are pretty talented. I enjoyed getting to jam with you in the group jams. I also loved your performance you and your group put on during the competition we had. Keep on picking and maybe we’ll see each other at another camp somewhere.

1 Like

Thank you Eli ! The camps are so rewarding the. Learning the friends the food. I will definitley be going to more ! Hope to see you at one or more !

3 Likes

You are right on the people really put the topping on the whole experience.

3 Likes