Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jens Kruger Masterclass - Speed, Clean & Embellishments

In this Masterclass Jens Kruger talks about the process of playing Fast, Clean and applying Embellishments

Q&A Session

6 Likes

Really enjoying this @Archie thanks

2 Likes

how he himself has to laugh when he plays fast … brilliant :smile:

2 Likes

This is a good stuff. Thanks Archie!

1 Like

Archie, I tried his suggestions. I never play very fast because I feel I make too many mistakes and it sounds bad–just as he said it would. But I played after I watched this; over and over and fast. Each time it got better and I went back, slowed it down and worked on the mistakes. I think this is going to help me. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Hi Becky, Once you grasp the concept of not worrying about making mistakes you will find you move forward more quickly. We are our own worst critics. There’s a lot of great advice in those videos.

1 Like

I can see the truth in that. I was just sitting here wondering how my poor husband will stand listening to me practice again this afternoon without the mute on. He’s usually out and about but I guess he’ll either deal with it or find something to do in the cold outside.

2 Likes

They get used to it Becky, my wife used to say I shouldn’t play loud incase they neighbours complained. I asked the neighbours and they said they loved hearing the banjo. So my cut off time is 10.30 PM. Not had a single complaint in 12 years banjo

4 Likes

I’m very inspired! Thanks.

1 Like

I found his comments at the beginning about the “history of music” very interesting, as well as the tension between “respect the music” and "play your own music.
I also liked his understanding that “play fast…if you want to.” There is no law that says you must play fast.
And the observation that , with a banjo, you can play a lot of notes, but not be playing fast.
Clearly, this is a man who has spent a lot of time thinking about the banjo & music!
Tuesday 2/2 at 6pm EST is the follow-up with a Q & A on the subject. It should be a great show!

4 Likes

He has a broad understanding of banjo music, not just bluegrass which he has mastered. I really enjoyed his discussion on improvisation in the first lesson. I look forward to tonight’s follow-up.

2 Likes