Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jamming tracks

Are there site’s that have jamming tracks that are not just guitar? I am looking for ones that would be like a real jam where each instrument takes a lead and lets you play your banjo part?

4 Likes

There are lots of them on YouTube and you can speed up/slow down as well. I usually search for a particular tune (Cherokee Shuffle backing track, for example) and a bunch of them will come up.

2 Likes

Hi Terry, None that I am familiar with, If you search Google for BIAB Band in a Box Tracks you should be able to find some backing tracks but these are really Midi Tracks

I am watching this with interest !!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve got all the regular backing tracks, there has to be the ones I described? I think it would be so cool to have one that is just like a regular jam.

2 Likes

Check out fbbts.com. That may be what you’re looking for. I also use strum machine but it doesn’t have other instruments playing leag

3 Likes

Check out https://www.grasstrax.com/

Find your song and your key, tell it which instrument you play, and it will make for you a downloadable jam track with breaks for all the other instruments and and then just the others backing when your turn comes.

It’s a one time $2.00 per song, but you get a zip file with your jam track in 7 - 12 different speeds depending on the tune, and you get a .pdf file with the chord progression for the song. Not a bad deal.

4 Likes

I was also going to recommend Grasstrax. You get a lot of great practice tracks when you purchase a song. I’ve bought a few from them, and they have a free song monthly as well.

4 Likes

Hi Terry, I just remembered Jack Hatfield, has books with CDs where the banjo is in one channel and other instruments in another. By using earphones and panning out the banjo you have the effect of playing along with a band. Jack had a big fire a few years back and he lost a lot of stock, Not sure how much he has recovered from the setback. I know he called on his customers who had purchased TABs from him to help rebuild his library. Not sure what recordings he has, certainly does no harm to ask.

2 Likes

So does grass trax have it where you can play your own solo? I went on and am a little confused how it works?

1 Like

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer: At the Grasstrax web site, you select your song, lets’ say Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Then you chose your instrument, in this case banjo

Add it to your cart and make the purchase. You’ll get a notification in your email with a link to download a compressed file (zip file)
After you’ve downloaded the file, double click it and you’ll see the following files:
You’ll have several mp3 files at different speeds, this one provides 12 files at speeds from 60 beats per minute to 170 beats per minute. Each mp3 is the tune with instruments other than yours, each taking a solo while the others play backup. There is one spot where everyone plays backup, while you play solo. Since FMB is a banjo tune, banjo usually kicks it off, so what you hear are the other instruments (no banjo) just playing back up while you play your solo on banjo. Then, the fiddle plays a solo while the others, including you, are playing back up, and so on. Of course you can play whatever you want at any time.

You’ll also get a pdf file with the chord progression and a link to the NNS.

If you want to try it out, go get Cripple Creek, it’s always free.

3 Likes

Wow, great information!! Thanks! I ordered 2 tracks and it work’s great!

3 Likes