Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jamming at Cabin Camp

Thank you @Mark_Rocka! Hopeful to do some more :crossed_fingers::grin:!!!

4 Likes

Since we’ll all 3 be at camp, let’s come up with a song or 2 we can play together.

5 Likes

Not only that, we’re all going as mandolin students. Have you anything in mind? We could play three different instruments…

3 Likes

@Mark_Rocka & @Dragonslayer,
Sounds like a plan! My 2 cents worth are Blackberry Blossom and something celtic cuz its gonna be March :shamrock:… like Kesh Jig, Cliffs of Moher, or Sargent Earlys Dream - or similar! I’m kinda limited to the mando as I’m not a multi instrumentalist like yall. And maybe this topic should now be in a different thread but I don’t know how to do that… rookie that I am :grin:. What’s your 2 cents worth?

2 Likes

Ben said I can borrow a banjo when/if needed. Gunnar, you wanna take guitar?

Blackberry Blossom is a good one. What about Temperance Reel for a Celtic tune?
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/temperance-reel-banjo

5 Likes

I’m game for BB and any Celtic tune you think of, I probably know it.

Ben said he had instruments I could borrow, so I plan on borrowing a guitar and a banjo… I’ll have my fiddle as well.

3 Likes

@Dragonslayer, @Mark_Rocka,
BB appears to be a universal go. I’ve never done temperance before (it does sound nice tho :blush:) - I’m kind of hesitant on that one for that reason! I’ll give it a try and see if I can handle it! Will letcha know how dismal (or not) it turns out :grin:!

2 Likes

I don’t know it either. Feel free to make other recommendations.

3 Likes

@Mark_Rocka,
Should this (cabin camp side collab/jam stuff) b in a different topic than this one ? And I’ll come up with some more suggestions just need to know where to post it :grin:

3 Likes

Oh I had an idea, we could do the first (or last) song as a mandolin trio and then change instruments for the next song one at a time. I have four variations of temperance reel, and one of them transitions perfectly into BB

3 Likes

A mandolin trio, huh? That should sound… interesting. I’m game.

4 Likes

I love watching multiple mandolins next to each other, with all the right hands synchronized chopping…

2 Likes

@Dragonslayer, @Mark_Rocka
Finally got chance to try temperance. Got 1st 3 parts pretty good, need work on 2nd B part but I’m sure it’ll come with more work. The backup is easy to learn so, sure, I’m in! Gunnar, u said u had a few variations of this tune… one of which segues to BB - that’ll be cool! My other suggestions were stuff like lilting banshee, swallowtail jig, irish washerwoman, tam lin - which would probably be more difficult to back up. St Anne’s reel (I thinks its Canadian but it’s a reel) and sailors hornpipe (dont know if its Celtic but it’s a hornpipe). I’m working on wind that shakes the barley (because of @Archie :wink:). Too many choices such little time :rofl:! We’ll figure it out! But temperance & BB is a great start!

2 Likes

I got yer synchronized chopping right here: plus it’s one of our camp songs!

4 Likes

Great!

I know most of these, and most other Celtic tunes, also they all have easy chord structures, so we can jam those even without planning. Also, we could maybe do under the double eagle?

That video is great, I’m gonna watch it again! So many different styles next to each other

2 Likes

BB and TR it is, then. Work has kept me crazy busy, so getting these 2 songs down on banjo before camp will be about as much as I can handle since I’ll be trying to learn 10 songs on mando between now and the end of March.

I really need to find a way to work less. :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah, and we can always just jam those ten songs too

3 Likes

I hear ya about learning new songs! Of the 10 songs, there’s only 3 I know, and they’re all a different version than the tabs for camp.
And, of the 3, I do 1 of them in a different key, so might as well say I also need to learn 10 songs by March :grin:! Gonna be a fun journey though, lookin fwd to learning these songs for the repertoire!

3 Likes

Yeah I love that video, 5 choppers chopping, 5 styles, same song. Just awesome! Under the double eagle? Havent heard that one, will check it out though. I figure after Christmas songs for church/practice is finished I’ll have more time to get going on all the new stuff!

2 Likes

I only know one of the songs on the list as the same version, so I’m gonna have nine lessons to learn too…

2 Likes