Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Jamie Hodnett from Bahama, North Carolina

Jamie with his kids

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
My dad…both guitar and mandolin.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Played guitar to sing in church since late 80’s

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
The “Wray Rhythm” lessons have opened a new door for me and I’ve done a deep dive into rhythm guitar. Ran into Tony recently and thanked him in person!

What’s your goal when playing?
To play clean and provide solid lead or supportive back-up to other instruments and vocals

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Bluegrass, gospel, traditional country

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
About 1 year, I believe

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Dependent simply on song and instrument I’m playing

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Wow! Can I list mulitiple? DLQ - They are a fun band to watch and do plenty gospel. Skaggs & Thunder - Been a fan of Ricky since I was a kid and I appreciate his ties to the music. The Purple Hulls - Their music and level of playing is where I want to be!

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Paige capo’s are quality for acoustic instruments. A good, stiff flatpick is the only way to get good tone from a mandolin or guitar, I prefer triangles.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Vintage…Martins and Gibsons. Although Hooper and Collings are beautiful to both ears and eyes. And some small shops/luthiers would get a hard look “if money was no object”

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play music/jam…a LOT! Hunt and fish. Farm…either livestock or Christmas trees, maybe both. All with my wife and kids involved

Anything else you’d like to add? Can we share this or is this private feedback?
I do enjoy opportunities to play music locally with my 2 oldest kids, 13yo daughter on fiddle/vocals, 11yo son on banjo. Their playing level has pushed me to be a better musician! We’re just getting started, I hope, but it’s in God’s hands. Ben’s lessons have helped me in so many ways, some not even intended. Don’t let the Lesson title fool you, there’s SO much packed in each lesson! The ability to access on my schedule is really the only way I can make lessons work considering I have a full-time job and I’m a husband and father of three. I do hope to get the chance to meet Ben. I met Katy and Penny a couple years ago, we drove several hours but traffic made us miss their show but they invited us to dinner at a local diner, an awesome memory for my family!

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
A good friend, who plays guitar, mentioned Banjo Ben…bump, ba, da, dum…several years ago

7 Likes

Congrats Jamie on the GPOTW…

3 Likes

Congrats on the GPOTW Jamie! I love seeing families playing music together, especially young kids. I hope to see you around the forum!

2 Likes

Congrats on GPOTW Jamie. Neat story and your kids are adorable. I love that you’re starting them off in music young. Hope to hear from you on the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A hearty congratulations on GPotW - friend.

Very nice pic of the fam too!

2 Likes

Congrats! I had never heard of Bahama NC. I had to look it up.

I think it is fantastic that your family plays music together.

2 Likes

Thanks y’all. I love getting opportunities to play and sing with my kids, praying that more doors will open for us and that I can pick good enough to keep my spot in the band :wink:

1 Like