Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

James Tucker from Mount Juliet, TN!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
When I was a teenager and first heard the dueling banjos being played and I bought a cassette tape of it when I went to Opryland USA Theme Park on a High School Trip.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Approx 5 years. I love the challenge and I desire to learn.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
At my level, I don’t have a particular favorite. All the lessons have helped me. I do like how Ben starts out with the basics and goes from there.

What’s your goal when playing?
To get it right and continue to improve.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I like a lot of different styles of music, but I’m only interested in playing the banjo. I like playing Bluegrass and Gospel the best.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I’m thinking since about 2018. And the night I signed up, Banjo Ben sent a message that we where neighbors, only living a couple of miles from each other!

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I’m focusing on 5 string picking.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
The County Gentlemen, because all the recordings that I’ve heard of them are really spot on.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Blue Chip thumb pick. Nice leather shoulder strap. A Tuner. And, a great case!

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
A higher quality banjo with a tone ring. I really like the sound of the Stellings.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I would practice much more than I currently do and build more hot-rods!

Anything else you’d like to add?
Of course I like how the website is all put together, and the fact that Cabin Camps are offered. The camps reinforce many of the elements of playing along with others that is taught on the Banjo Ben website.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
YouTube videos and I tried the free week trial on the Banjo Ben website.

Thanks for letting us feature you James!!

25 Likes

Nice to get to know you James!

So when you have trouble with a lick do you show up on Ben’s back porch, banjo in hand?

9 Likes

Congrats!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congrats James!! Loved reading your story!
It was awesome to meet & pick with you at the Oct. '20 Camp! And :notes: “Bushy Tailed Banjo Mob!” :notes:
Once a Mobster, always a Mobster😁!
Lookin fwd to picking again someday :slightly_smiling_face:!

4 Likes

Congratulations and great bio!

2 Likes

2021-05-14T01:52:00Z Congratulation James

2 Likes

Alright! Way to go James!

2 Likes

Congrats on being the GPOTW! Really enjoyed getting to meet you at the all-banjo camp last month. :grinning: Enjoyed reading this!

2 Likes

Hey, I know that guy! Congrats on being picker of the week!!

4 Likes

gif James on beings selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. Having @BanjoBen as your neighbour is really convenient except when his backyard is full of pickers, pickin a tune out of tune.

3 Likes

Congrats James! It was a pleasure meeting you and being part of the group “Squirrel Gravy” with you at the July 2020 Cabin Camp.

5 Likes

So I’ve never been to cabin camp. Why do all the battling bands have a squirrel name?

8 Likes

Extra points!

4 Likes

I don’t get it :laughing:

5 Likes

The Battle of the Bands is judged on a point system. Stuff like good dynamics, timing, working the mic, eefing, etc. landed bands some bonus points, and so did having a squirrel theme in your band name.

8 Likes

Wow. Sounds like a blast. Haha

8 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby you need to come, we all want to meet you!

5 Likes

Great to meet you at Camp last month James!

5 Likes