Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I've never been this Homesick before - key of E

Howdy folks! Played out at another church again last night! It was with the same group I played with last week (my son plays banjo for them).

Enjoyed my 1st time filling in for the mando player.
He ended up playing guitar because one of the guitar guys couldn’t make it. Plus he had an inner ear issue so it’s amazing that he even got there (his wife drove him!)

They had 16 songs on the list. We ended up doing 11 and 2 requests. I found out 4 days ahead so I had time to prepare, however we did not do any practice (work schedules etc…)
Songs were:
Give me your hand (D)
Gonna be moving (A)
Sing me a song about Jesus (A)
Meet you in church Sun. morn (E)
The old crossroads (G)
What a journey ©
Homesick (E)
When I wake up to sleep no more (A)
God’s not dead (G)
I went down a beggar (A)
Don’t worry about me (A)
Did a break on all but 2 songs (did tremolo stuff on those 2) and did 2 kickoffs. I was quite worried (scared to death actually) that my contributions were gonna self destruct & surprised myself when they didnt.

Monkey Wrench!! It was the 2 requested songs: I’ll fly away - KEY OF Bb!! Played with band & the church pianist, then a short Amazing Grace - KEY OF Ab!!! Played with band, church pianist plus congregation singing. Managed a tiny break on both. (I dont really play much in those keys!)

It was a fun night, wasnt the group’s best performance as a whole, but it could have been way worse! Plus one of their main guys was missing, & the other guy was not feeling good, & then there was me, the simple melody rookie…

Yikes looks like I’ve written a book (again :confounded:)
Apologies for the long winded-ness! Below should be the link to the audio (cell phone) (+ pic from my aunt’s place in Canada) This is one of the songs I kicked off, Hope you enjoy!

11 Likes

That’s so awesome hon, you’re braver than I. Good on ya for doing that and sharing it here.

3 Likes

Great Job @Simone

3 Likes

Thank you @MissMaggie ! I dont know that I’m brave… I was actually quite the nervous nelly, sweaty hands & all! The guys all laugh at my hands cuz they’re so sweaty they are shiny :grimacing: they tell me I’ll get over it… still waiting for that day!!

4 Likes

Thank you @Archie !!

3 Likes

Playing banjo or mandolin in church makes my hands sweaty, but not guitar for some reason. Great job BTW.

3 Likes

Thank you @D_HRRFan7303 ! That’s an odd thing for guitar to be the only non sweaty handed instrument that you play at church! Is that the one you’ve been playing the longest/are most comfortable with? I think it’s great you folks who play multiple instruments, I’m just mandolin & starting to dabble a little bit w a really old Irish tenor banjo that we have.

3 Likes

Man that song takes me back. I bet I haven’t heard it in 20 years. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

3 Likes

Thank you @Mark_Rocka! And you’re welcome, thanx for traveling down memory lane melodies with me :grin:

4 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

@Dragonslayer, Thank you Gunnar! It was a fun nite for sure!

1 Like