Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Is there a order to the lessons to begin with

Just got on the mandolin train but I don’t see any tracks. Where do I start to actually begin picking and learn chord etc. . Need to get fingers and mind up to speed before I think about songs. Any suggestions on first lessons would be helpful. Thanks

3 Likes

Hey Michael, welcome to the forum (and nice name)!

Have you checked out the Beginner Mandolin Checklist? These are lessons in a list to get you started on your mandolin journey (it actually starts with shopping tips for the instrument) and takes you from basic theory knowledge to simple songs.

The theory stuff can be overwhelming at first, especially if you also happen to be new to music as a whole. I usually wouldn’t recommend trying to digest all of that before you actually start picking.

Here’s a lesson series on the most basic of topics like hand positions, etc, and here’s one to get you started on the most fundamental chords. When you’re ready to start picking out some melodies, here’s a lesson to teach you to read the tabs you’ll inevitably come across :+1:

Hope that helps and let us know if you need anything!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Michael!

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks I looked at that basic check list and then it lost direction. Will check out your look here spots should help to get the fingers moving and the no pain no gain finger stretching started while I go thru other lessons.

1 Like