Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Is it ok to leave the capo on for awhile?

When using a capo, what’s the consensus on leaving it on or taking it off after everytime you play? Is it ok to leave a capo on overnight, couple days? Same question for capo’ing the 5th string with a spike.

1 Like

I’ve accidentally left my 5th string spiked overnight. It didn’t hurt anything, and I don’t think leaving the capo on for that length of time would damage anything either, but I don’t really see a benefit to leaving it on anyway. Personally, I always uncapo after playing.

2 Likes

Agreed. The lacquer finish on instruments is not as durable as some things. I have had stands that reacted with the finish after extended contact. So to be on the safe side, I’d remove it. That said, I am currently working on a song in A on banjo and it has stayed spiked on 2 for about a week (I do slide the capo off when I put it back in the case). It probably isn’t good for the string, but it’s a risk I accept.

2 Likes

As a Beginner, here’s my expert opinion -
When I think about it, I wonder if there really is a problem.
First, the second question: Capo’ing the 5th string with a spike. As far as I can see, this doesn’t put any undo stress or weird contact with the banjo, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
"“Leave the capo on for a couple days?” It shouldn’t harm the fret board, but might mar the finish on the back of the neck, depending on the type of capo you use. I think the threat is minimal, regardless.
It may put undo pressure on the frets, but I also think this is minimal.

1 Like

It doesn’t hurt the instrument to leave a capo on especially not a spike on a banjo. I always leave my capo loosely behind the nut when I’m done playing. If you leave pressure on it all the time I think you’ll wear out the rubber tube a lot faster. Just what I’ve always thought.

4 Likes

My guitar has had a capo on it for the last week or so… I usually prefer to at least loosen it when not in use, but it really won’t damage anything unless you have a really fragile varnish finish.
It probably isn’t great for the capo though

1 Like

I always remove the capo and un-hook the 5th string when I put the banjo in it’s case at the end of the day.

2 Likes