Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Is Dobro difficult to play?

Curious to know if any BanjoBen Forum members have experience and feedback on this subject?

I don’t have the bandwidth nor the insight (let alone lessons or instruction) to delve into this cool instrument… but I sure would like to gain some insight.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ve played dobros on several occasion and it’s very intuitive for banjo players. The tuning is almost the same, and the picking is basically the same. I would own and play one if they were more affordable.

5 Likes

Thanks @D_HRRFan7303,

That beckons the follow-up… What is a decent entry cost for the instrument?

3 Likes

Not hard to play with, more difficult to play well.
A gretsch square neck can be found for around $250 and that’s the cheapest I’d recommend. $400 will get you something pretty good used

3 Likes

Dobro was definitely more difficult for me than guitar or mandolin because I don’t play banjo. Also there are techniques like muting unwanted strings that take a different skill set than a “fretted” instrument. I think if you play banjo it will come a lot easier than it did for me. I would recommend a Gretsch or if you can afford it a RK Phill Leadbetter, but a lot of the cheap entry level dobros aren’t worth their salt. That’s just my take.

3 Likes

I play Banjo @Kevin_S… but I suspect that the complexity of the slide complicates the picking…

I have used slides on an electric… but it looks like this is using a slide on a Banjo that lays flat… Oh my!

:hushed:

4 Likes

I have a 1934 model 37 dobro that’s been in the family since around 1940.
Just learning guitar after a few years of playing banjo. My next project is to start learning the resophonic but would like to find teacher in Toronto Ont area. have not found one yet.

5 Likes

If you’re interested in online lessons, Troy Brenningmeyer at Lwtstreaming.com would be a good one to check out. He has lots of lessons and he’s very reasonably priced.

4 Likes

Awesome @Kevin_S

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll look into it.

4 Likes